Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2005, 09:49 PM

Default Re: 1st hand of $109 - what the hell do you do?

I agree, I think the best move here is folding preflop or calling and dropping the hand unless you make two pair or better. It's just too hard to know where you're at the first hand of a tournament when (don't use PT for tournaments) you have no idea of what sort of players you are up against.

As it happened, I called and immediately regretted it. I think most of the time it's a bad call but this time I got lucky and my opponent had just Q9 with the nine of hearts, so has just 3 outs against me. I doubled up and went on to win, that's 1st place in my last three tournaments for me, all $109s [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. Maybe I should sign up at that poker room (Absolute?) which gives you a million quid if you come 1st in 7 $10s on the trot!

Gloating aside, I have to agree with those who said the call was (would be) a bad one and getting into a big pot like this with a hand which could be a mile behind was a mistake. Once I'm there though I'm still not 100% it was a bad call all-in. I guess it's marginal but if you are behind you're out, if you fold you can still take 1st place and are not crippled, and that is what it should come down to.
Old 09-08-2005, 09:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not a big fan of the flop bet. You don't need to bet that much to make it incorrect for flush draws to call, and the only flush draw you need to push out is the Ah. By betting more than you need to, you're committing a lot of chips with just TPGK on a monotone board.

[/ QUOTE ]

blech. we're talking about a situation where the stacks are still mildly deepish. unless you get away incredibly cheaply every time they hit the flush, and only only fold when they do in fact hit hte flush, never when they bluff at the flush card, immediate odds take a back seat to implied odds here, and someoen folding for a smalllish bet with a flush draw would be an idiot. further, i don't know why you say with 7 limpers you only have to fear the Ah? aren't you going to see 73h (assuming those carsd aren't on the flop, you get my point) quite often?

citanul
Old 09-08-2005, 11:40 PM

i limp pf and pretty much go into check fold mode when he calls