Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2005, 02:54 AM

Default Re: Poker Superstars II

[ QUOTE ]
Unless, you're cheating or you have someone staked, I don't see how you'd ever try to not play a pot with someone for fear of eliminating them

[/ QUOTE ]

The 4-player tournament they're doing now is point based, just like the main season, except for one thing. The 16 players in the post season get broken into 4 groups of 4. Each group plays 2 games, and gains points based on how they do in each game. The top 2 from each group move on to the semifinals. The points are: 0 for 4th, 4 for 3rd, 7 for 2nd, and 10 for 1st.

This causes some weird situations. One, with Todd Brunson, the ONLY way he could make it to the next round was if, during their second game, the players went out in a specific order. It wasn't enough that he win; others had to lose in a specific order.

He made a couple of key mistakes in that game (unless, like has been noted, he just was trying to win to get some cash, even if he couldn't move on), and got very lucky that he didn't eliminate the player that could not go out first. Had he won that one key hand, he'd have still been in the tournament but unable to overcome the other two player's minimum possible point total.

It was a strange metagame situation that actually created some interesting tournament situations.
Old 09-14-2005, 09:10 AM

Just because the format is a lil strange doesnt make it not poker. It is different, but interesting. The blinds do go up too fast though.

The reason I watch, however, is I think it shows the personalities of the players so much. Because of no real audience and not a lot of pressure, they interact a lot more. We get to see the people a little more.
Old 09-17-2005, 03:58 PM

"It was a strange metagame situation that actually created some interesting tournament situations."

I think it was the best Poker Superstars II episode by far (I have not seen ep 27 yet). It was tournament strategy at its finest.
Old 09-17-2005, 07:21 PM

It's BORING!!!