Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2005, 10:24 AM

Default Re: Top pair low kicker - decision on turn?

I think fewer people would be saying to check the turn if we cut off the action after the bet.
Old 09-08-2005, 10:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think fewer people would be saying to check the turn if we cut off the action after the bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I've seen villain's play often enough at this limit that I've grown very suspicious of the turn check.

If you're aggressive postflop (like any 2+2er), your more observant opponents will notice that you like to bet a lot, and they'll start check-raising you. I know I get check-raised all the time. I've had numerous opponents go for (and sometimes achieve [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] ) the trifecta against me.

Furthermore, there aren't that many .5/1 players who would check-raise this flop with an oesd. A donkishly played TP is far more likely than a draw, at least in my experience.

The way to punish donks is to take the free card when they offer it, suck out on them, and then tell them that pokar is easy.
Old 09-08-2005, 12:12 PM

Meh, I've also seen alot of random checkraises that mean the guy just wanted to get into the action.

You make some good points, but I'm still not entirely convinced. One of my biggest problems is that we can safely fold to a raise, so betting when we shouldn't costs us 1BB. Checking when we shouldn't not only loses us almost 1BB of value (possibly more if the other guy comes along), but also risks giving away a 5BB pot to either of the two players should a Q/K/A fall.

In this context, a check-behind looks brilliant, but if one opponent was actually c/fing the turn and his K hit on the river this move would look really bad.

I'd actually be kind of interested in crossposting this in SS and cutting off the action at the turn.
Old 09-08-2005, 02:56 PM

I think the point about having the other player in the pot (both for extra value, and for not wanting to give a free card) is a good point, and a significant factor whether or not to bet.

I agree with the bet with a multiway hand, and would be inclined to check behind HU. Since there's a gap in the board, and because he's OOP, I wouldn't think it's that likely he's trying a free card play to an OESD, compared to the chance he's got a made hand he likes. That said, I really don't get his play on the turn.
Old 09-08-2005, 03:20 PM

I once saw someone (unsuccessfully) go for the quad-fecta. She LRR preflop, c/r flop, turn, and attempted c/r on river with AA. One of the funniest things I've ever seen.
Old 09-09-2005, 04:39 PM

Link to crosspost in SS.

There's only a few replies, but they've all said so far that they'd bet the turn. I still think betting is the correct play, but I'm interested in hearing everyone's opinions.
Old 09-09-2005, 04:57 PM

Well that was for a 2/4 game [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Still, if you're calling the flop c/r it's not because you hope to improve here, it's because you think your jack is good. You don't have a lot of outs on the turn against a better hand so you should tend to bet here and fold if you get check/raised. If the 4 were a 7 I would check behind and try to suckout, planning to call the river unimproved and raise improved.