Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2003, 02:32 PM

Default Re: Poker and Drugs

congrats on getting out after many years and living to tell others of the negative experience of addiciton.
Old 04-27-2003, 02:43 PM

Since when do ghosts use the internet?

Hey if the afterlife has broadband, then I'm not nearly so scared of dying!

-Scott
Old 04-29-2003, 04:19 PM

I suppose I should amend that to "That some people think they function better is the big lie".

Ghosts? Ahem. Since about 1:06 pm PST 4/29/03.

My experience is 100% objective, I lived it. Didn't read about it. (maybe I should have?). I know whereof I speak. Anyway, no regrets, it took going through there to get here. By the way, I like the way you write Bruce. Hopefully mine will improve through this forum.

Bart
Old 04-30-2003, 09:39 PM

Umm, I think that was sarcasm Bruce. I suppose I could be wrong, but does anyone actually have a "D.A.R.E Officer".

As to drugs and poker, I generally don't mix the two. I will occasionally will get stoned when playing a freeroll tournament. I sometimes "feel" like I go through times where I can read people better and consider more things, but it usually goes away after a 20-30 minutes, and then my lack of ability to think straight kills me. In all probability my "feeling" is a bunch of crap and I just get lucky for a while and have selective memory about it.

I never smoke or drink when I am playing seriously (actually, playing poker regularly has dramtically reduced the amount of alchohol/pot I consume, which I consider a positive side effect both financially and health-wise).
Old 04-30-2003, 10:46 PM

You're absolutely right Johnny Boy! I'm glad that SOMEONE in this godforsaken place has some sense. And as for the D.A.R.E. officer, I actually did have one way back in the 6th grade... he's still around, great guy that officer. And he did have a slogan that said "Drugs are BAD"... but of course a multivitamin isn't a "drug"! Some people just don't understand intelligent people like us... but that's alright, the world's full of 'em.
Old 04-30-2003, 11:44 PM

do drugs drink and have fun--- play poker===. i love playing in a game with guys drinking and smoking. most are having fun and are very hard to read. my only problem is i will join in on drinking to keep the game "live". i have trouble reading drunks because they often play off the wall.
Old 05-01-2003, 12:58 AM

Why should it be sarcasm? It looked pretty much like the majority opinion.

Forum tip 1: Avoid sarcasm. It translates poorly into text, unless it is very clear sarcasm as I have used above.

Forum tip 2: If you are here to learn, avoid alienating the many in this community who possess the knowledge and sense that you lack. If you are not here to learn but only trolling, then please remain silent or find another place on the internet to play.
Old 05-01-2003, 02:34 PM

I've played on coke and it makes me choke.

I've played on whiskey and it makes me frisky.

I've played on X and it makes me perplex.

I've played on pot, a lot, and, uh, what was the question again?
Old 05-01-2003, 03:05 PM

This may be controversial, but is only food for thought. Some people are anxious in social situations with strangers in close quarters, some people are overly concerned with winning a hand when they first sit down and are nervous. There are other psychological deficeits that negatively impact poker play.

I do not advocate the position that substances improve your clairvoyance or mental acuity (although an argument can be made for stimulants, such as caffeine), but in terms of calming one's nerves, allowing one to become more comfortable, more patient and more at ease- for some people a drink or other substance may further these ends.

I don't think the average low limit poker game takes much metal power: most of the plays are pretty routine and often the size of the pot, rather than your opponent will dictate your action, especially in loose, no-fold'em games. One of the most important skills in limit poker is patience. Most people know how to win money with good cards, but don't know how to not leak money with garbage, trouble or trap hands, especially in low limit games. In these games, I think starting hand selection is perhaps the most important skill and patience is a key trait to exercising good hand selection. If a substance calms you down, maybe the gain in your ability to be patience and at ease, and thus wait for the right situation is greater than the corresponding loss in your mental ability of focus.

Sure, you might be better off learning to be calm or patient without the need for foreign substances, and there is clearly a point of diminishing marginal returns in regard to the use of substances that arises quicker than the user is apt to realize.

Nonetheless, in a not too tough limit game where patience and control is often your ally, there may be something to be said for substances for certain personalties.
Old 05-01-2003, 04:41 PM

When I used to shoot pool a lot and play in several tournies a week, I found I played my best on 2 beers.

It was just enough to calm my nerves and steady my hands. Any more and I got sloppy, less and I was a little nervous.

I'm not sure if that can translate to poker though, but perhaps.

-Scott