Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2005, 06:39 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)
Default Re: Blind Defense (In General)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Before I start, I think it's important to mention that since we want to make money postflop, it's probably best to avoid TAG's because even though they're less likely to be unpaired (meaning we're less often a big underdog), they will make less mistakes

[/ QUOTE ]
Not so sure about this. TAGs, especially the weak tight kind, are sometimes more easily manipulated than the others which makes eaiser it to take the pot down without a made hand on certain boards.

[/ QUOTE ]

that's a good point. I wonder what fraction of our profit comes from taking down pots without a showdown vs winning at showdown
Old 09-06-2005, 06:42 PM

I think about .14 for the BB and .05 for SB ? Not sure tho but I think I saw that quite a few. Kiddo had a post on it a while back.
Old 09-06-2005, 06:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think playing the blinds well, particularly the big blind, is inevitably going to result in some hands that just make you feel like a complete piece of crap at the end. That doesn't mean you messed up, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed. agreat player once told me "that if you don't feel like a moron sometimes, you aren't playing right"
Old 09-06-2005, 06:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

What is an average range of numbers that a decent player should be losing out of the SB and BB? I have no clue.

[/ QUOTE ]

That could be me. Not great, not yet good, but decent. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
In a 117K sample 5/10 and 10/20:
-0.07 in SB
-0.13 in BB
Old 09-06-2005, 06:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
my solution is that I started 3betting pretty much every hand that I defend with. having the initiative helps, ill let you guys know how it goes... [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

edit-btw, so far in sept. im winning .05/100 in my sb and only losing .03/100 in my BB. I must be onto something!

<font color="white"> no need to flame, im obviously running super hot and making a joke </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Your hidden joke aside, I've been meaning to try this for awhile now. Not 100% of the time I defend, but ~50% perhaps. Sthief is worried that once they catch on, they'll start capping, but they aren't going to catch on until you've done it once or twice (unless you 3-bet and end up showing down something really bad). In other words, you can probably get away with it a couple times before you have to slow down . . .

All I know is I hate hate hate it when I steal with my JTo or god knows what and I get 3-bet by the BB and miss the flop. Which I will 2/3rds of the time.

And if I hate it that much when other people do it, it must be good to do to other people. Problem is, I'm not sure what to do after I bet the flop I just missed, and they call or raise . . . bastards. Don't they know I'm representing AA?
Old 09-06-2005, 07:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That could be me. Not great, not yet good, but decent.
In a 117K sample 5/10 and 10/20:
-0.07 in SB
-0.13 in BB

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you post your blinds positional stats? Or any further info?
Any post flop tactics? Are you loose or tight in blinds etc
Old 09-06-2005, 07:05 PM

Ok this is a really basic question but I'm relatively new to shorthand play and blind play is still new and scary. I read somewhere that it's almost never correct to just call a steal raise from the small blind. Generally 3bet or fold (unless you're trapping with a monster). Can anyone shed any light on this? I find myself kinda lost in the SB against a steal.
Old 09-06-2005, 07:07 PM

Do you hate it more than when he just calls and then CR the flop ?
Old 09-06-2005, 07:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok this is a really basic question but I'm relatively new to shorthand play and blind play is still new and scary. I read somewhere that it's almost never correct to just call a steal raise from the small blind. Generally 3bet or fold (unless you're trapping with a monster). Can anyone shed any light on this? I find myself kinda lost in the SB against a steal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Usually you want the hand heads up with the stealer, so if you just call in the small blind, you're giving the big blind good odds to come along cheaply. This is not what you want, so you 3-bet the majority of the time out the small blind in steal situations. This gives you the initiative in the hand, so that when both of you miss the flop, you're more likely to take down the pot. This is not always what you must do, but usually it is correct.
Old 09-06-2005, 07:11 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

if I were to make a starting hand chart against a raise I wouldn't include any calls from the SB. however, I do call from there a few times per session when the right situation arises.