Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2005, 01:04 PM

Default Point/Counterpoint

Point/Counterpoint

All this is sound theory, but there is a pretty big problem with the specific examples mentioned:

I regularly 4 table in what I assume to be among the loosest games around (Party 2/4).Even these games are almost never loose enough to play the hands you are describing.

I used to play all Axs & all pocket pairs regardless of position before I got PT. After I invested in PT, I was somewhat appalled by what I found. Despie winning some monster pots with these hands when they hit hard (which you certainly will do), they were STILL losing hands for me. The games just simply arent loose enough to justify playing these hands irregardless of position etc. In my experience, a "typical" hand at Party 2/4 will typically be 4-5 players for 1 bet to the flop, or 3-4 for a raise to the flop. Hands where 8 or 9 people see the flop are RARE.

So yes, you do play some of these hands MORE often. Play 66+ from any position. Play 22+ from MP on. I dont recommend suited Ax below A9 at all, except in steal situations, which are rare at the game I play. Try to sneak in with 98s, 87s, 67s in MP after a limper or two. But don't go overboard; you aren't giving up anything if you limp less than 5% of the time with 75s, because it's nearly that rare when it's profitable to do so.

jvs
Old 09-06-2005, 01:06 PM

Default Re: brings up an interesting point...

I don't want to hijack this thread, but the OP already answered the question that the guy doesn't understand poker. Just shake your head and whisper "unbelievable" to yourself like jason_t and you'll be fine.
Old 09-06-2005, 01:09 PM

Default Re: Playing Looser in low limits...WARNING POTENTIONALLY HAZARDOUS CON

Interesting point, I have nothing to add. Oh, and what does your name mean? It has always confused me.
Old 09-06-2005, 01:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Interesting point, I have nothing to add. Oh, and what does your name mean? It has always confused me.

[/ QUOTE ]

i hope im not taking some sarcastic troll bait here but its funny that even after capitalizing the D and the T people still dont FIGURE IT OUT.

Barron
Old 09-06-2005, 01:12 PM

No sarcastic troll. Just kinda stupid.
Old 09-06-2005, 01:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No sarcastic troll. Just kinda stupid.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you can't Decipher what his name is, I can't help you.

jvs
Old 09-06-2005, 01:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i hope im not taking some sarcastic troll bait here but its funny that even after capitalizing the D and the T people still dont FIGURE IT OUT.

Barron

[/ QUOTE ]

what the hell does desiffer mean?
Old 09-06-2005, 01:53 PM

Why would you tilt from your flush hand? The donk saved you at least 2bb because you cant let the hand go. These are the players you want at the table
Old 09-06-2005, 01:54 PM

Default Re: Playing Looser in low limits...WARNING POTENTIONALLY HAZARDOUS CONTENT

Thanks for the post! You paraphrased nicely my weekend - on tilt, after suckout upon suckout and villian rarely betting them, showing down loser upon loser. Appreciate the perspective. So what was my response? - move up to 3/6 and try to win some of it back. I'll try and post a hand later which I think shows what you're talking about. Hope this thread continues.
Old 09-06-2005, 01:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Shant, I know I SHOULD be happy, and I know he's losing money he could win off me. My question wasn't "This is good by him, right?" it was WHY would someone do this, and does anyone have strategies to deal with the trauma when you expect to take in an extra $150 that hand? (Cigarette?)

I guess it's like someone breaking into your car and failing to steal your pimped up stereo. It's like the thief is insulting your sense of style.

[/ QUOTE ]

A lot of these players think that the object of poker is to win the pot. They are not thinking about getting value for their hands. They just want to show down a winner.

Regarding the the trauma, you just need to judge yourself based on how well you played the hand rather than the results. If you bet your top pair on the river and get called by a guy who caught runner-runner two pair with 32o, you should feel good that you played the hand correctly. This is easier said than done.