Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-14-2002, 01:52 AM

Default Re: Best In-Person Sports Moments

I have alot.... although Im not sure what they will mean to yall [img]/images/smile.gif[/img]

Nashwan winning the Derby 1989. A breathtaking thoroughbred: powerful, agile and sleek. And I bet him at 100-1 the year before to win the race [img]/images/smile.gif[/img]

My team, Queens Park Rangers reaching the FA Cup final (Englands answer to the Superbowl I guess) we lost, but it was a day Ill remember til I die.

Trevor Sinclair scoring the best goal Ill ever see (again for QPR against Barnsley)

Les Ferdinand, just about the best player whose ever played for my team, signing the match magazine of my 8 year old nephew on his first visit to the ground. He is now a loyal supporter.

Graham Gooch scoring 333 for England against India.

Thats about it,

Cheers,

Keith
Old 01-14-2002, 08:55 AM

Default Re: English Sports

No, we want to hear them. People's reaction to sport is similar even if the sports themselves are goofy like soccer or cricket. [img]/images/smile.gif[/img]

P.S. I picked up a copy of Fever Pitch when I was in London. It is one of the best sports books I have read even though I knew nothing about your kind of football.
Old 01-14-2002, 09:38 AM

Default Re: English Sports

HDPM,

On the advice of someone here, I also read Fever Pitch and it's wonderful--you don't have to be a fan of feetball.

John
Old 01-14-2002, 03:32 PM

Default Re: Best In-Person Sports Moments

Two things come to mind for me.

I am a big Twins fan and many moons ago I was at the game Kenny Landreaux hit 3 triples. I believe it is still tied for a MLB record.

I am a big hockey fan and from Winnipeg. I was at the last WHA hockey game when the Jets won yet another WHA championship.

Ken Poklitar

ohKanada@hotmail.com
Old 01-14-2002, 03:44 PM

Default LOL....

@feetball.

We invented football... so perhaps gridiron (where the ball is usually in the hand anyways [img]/images/smile.gif[/img] ) should find another name... handball maybe????

And Fever Pitch is truely a great book... best written on sports IMHO.

Cheers,

Keith
Old 01-14-2002, 07:08 PM

Default Rob Lytle fumbled that ball :-P *NM*

Old 01-16-2002, 12:37 AM

Default Re: LOL....

After all the posts about baseball, I've begun reading The Southpaw by Mark Harris, which, for some reason, I've avoided all these years. Although it's a great book, Fred Exley's A Fan's Notes is probably the best novel ever written about sports and obsession. Check it out.

John