Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2005, 05:05 PM

Default Re: Party 10/20 NL Flopped set, how to best extract max here?

I think I would just call the flop and if SB checks I would weak lead the turn trying to make it look like I have AQ and am trying to figure out if it's good.

If CO does have AA or KK he very well may check the turn through having been CCed in two spots on that board.
Old 09-05-2005, 05:12 PM

So do you think check/call on the flop here is the right line in the first place? You rarely see a board this drawless with this many callers on the flop, I'll freely admit I didn't have a solid plan when it got to me on the flop and it's unbelievably rare that I'll be holding QQ here in these circumstances.
Old 09-06-2005, 01:44 PM

I think you played it perfectly - keep all 4 in, see if you can even stack multiple, which if they have the right cards could be possible. Turn on the flame on the...errr...turn. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-05-2005, 05:08 PM

Bet about 2/3 of the pot and hope like hell that someone else has an overpair or a lower set.
Old 09-06-2005, 02:32 PM

Default Results

Realisitically here there's several approaches to this hand.

#1 is to assume that the PFR has a real hand like AA or KK and I should look to stack him, though with stacks as deep as we have, in all honesty I seriously doubt I'll get it all, as I said, he's a solid, long term winner in this game and he's way too deep to get all in with AA here against a limper like me on this particular board. After just having led out from ep twice in the last 15 hands with powerhouse hands into preflop raisers, I seriously doubt he's going fall for it again on this particular board and marry AA for his stack. A shorter stack with AA or a smaller set will basically play itself with this much already in the pot, I don't need to lead out for the smaller stacks to get it all in by the river.

#2 is to get the max assuming that no one has a powerhouse hand, get the most from the PFR or the SB if someone has the case Q or a mid high pair like JJ-10's. I definitely think LuvDemNut's plan of check calling on the flop and a very weak lead that looks like a Q trying to find out if I'm good on the turn is best here and give someone the chance to try and bully me out of the pot.

What I did was completely awful, trying to get fancy and represent a steal/squeeze play bluff, I check raised to $800 and they both insta folded. The speed of the folds makes me sort of think neither one had much but I'll never know. I'd almost never play a set that way in these circumstances and hoped they'd realize that and conversely put me on a steal/squeeze play bluff or KQ suited trying to find out if I'm good here, overly fancy play reasoning to justify idiotic move. Terrible, terrible move on my part.

Thanks to all those who posted, I know this isn't a complicated hand in terms of how to win it. It was a situation where I've virtually never found myself in dictated by the SB's recent tilt and I didn't think it through well in the heat of the moment after I checked on the flop and had the 2 callers.

I've really decided to focus on a # of things that don't get mentioned in this forum very much like extracting the absolute max from every hand, bet size, game selection & a few others to increase my winrate.