Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2005, 06:33 PM

Default Re: 2/5 mirage and somewhat deep stacks.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
you gotta fast play broadway straights if you like money bro. try to get the rest in asap before 4 straight card or board pairs.

[/ QUOTE ]

What he said.

When you flop broadway in a multiway raised pot, almost certainly someone else has a set or 2 pair and will find it very difficult to fold. Get the money in as quickly and efficiently as possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

ty. At the time I was concerned with getting a quarter of my stack in on the flop and having a v difficult turn decision if a board pair occurs.
Old 09-04-2005, 08:34 PM

On flop, you're ahead, you cant make a mistake by jamming it. Someone make think you're stealing with one pair and reraise their two pair.

On turn there are 15 cards you dont want to see. NL is a flop game. If you have TPTK you'll try to take it down quickly on flop. Try to mimic that same attitude with your monsters.
Old 09-04-2005, 08:48 PM

I'm a dumb newbie trying to learn NLHE. I'm assuming stack him means that you know you're behind in the hand but are able to put him on a small range? And you know that he'll pay you off if you can hit what you need?
Old 09-04-2005, 09:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
you gotta fast play broadway straights if you like money bro. try to get the rest in asap before 4 straight card or board pairs.

[/ QUOTE ]

What he said.

When you flop broadway in a multiway raised pot, almost certainly someone else has a set or 2 pair and will find it very difficult to fold. Get the money in as quickly and efficiently as possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

ty. At the time I was concerned with getting a quarter of my stack in on the flop and having a v difficult turn decision if a board pair occurs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep. The way to avoid that is to

a) flat call and bomb turn if it doesn't pair or
b) push the flop, or at least raise enough to pot-commit yourself.

The deepness of the stacks makes b) difficult. It's possible that a moderate reraise would've gotten someone to come over the top with a set, in which case the rest could go in, or you could just push and cross fingers. No one with a set is folding.

You chose a), which isn't a bad move, but the most money for you in the long run comes from b).
Old 09-05-2005, 01:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

commitment can be a scary thing - particularly when playing real deep....it is then when it's really crucial to have a solid understanding of implied odds....let's examine the quoted statement above.....

after you call the flop bet, you'll have $1200 left.....if you put in literally a quarter of your stack, that means you're raising $300......so even if SB folds, UTG has to call $300 to see the turn.....total implied odds he's calling 300 to win 525 (pot) + 900 (your remaining stack) = 1425......1425 to 300 means he is getting 4.75 to 1......if he has a set he's got 7 outs - which makes him 5.4 to 1 to hit.....if has top two he's got 4 outs - which makes him 10.2 to 1 to hit....

so my point is that even if he is a tricky-ass mofo that you'll have to pay off even if the board pairs, don't worry - putting in a quarter of your stack on the flop is +EV over time.....he's making a mistake by calling you, period.....and keep in mind that realistically you will sometimes be able to make a good read and get away from your hand on the turn on the occasions when you are sure you're beat.....(but you better be SURE once that pot gets big).....

bottom line - if you play aggressively and make correct EV decisions, there's nothing wrong with getting stacked off when the other guy hits....it happens.....when you aim to win big pots, sometimes you also lose big pots.....but you make the most money in the long run....
Old 09-05-2005, 06:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

commitment can be a scary thing - particularly when playing real deep....it is then when it's really crucial to have a solid understanding of implied odds....let's examine the quoted statement above.....

after you call the flop bet, you'll have $1200 left.....if you put in literally a quarter of your stack, that means you're raising $300......so even if SB folds, UTG has to call $300 to see the turn.....total implied odds he's calling 300 to win 525 (pot) + 900 (your remaining stack) = 1425......1425 to 300 means he is getting 4.75 to 1......if he has a set he's got 7 outs - which makes him 5.4 to 1 to hit.....if has top two he's got 4 outs - which makes him 10.2 to 1 to hit....

so my point is that even if he is a tricky-ass mofo that you'll have to pay off even if the board pairs, don't worry - putting in a quarter of your stack on the flop is +EV over time.....he's making a mistake by calling you, period.....and keep in mind that realistically you will sometimes be able to make a good read and get away from your hand on the turn on the occasions when you are sure you're beat.....(but you better be SURE once that pot gets big).....

bottom line - if you play aggressively and make correct EV decisions, there's nothing wrong with getting stacked off when the other guy hits....it happens.....when you aim to win big pots, sometimes you also lose big pots.....but you make the most money in the long run....

[/ QUOTE ]

thank you that was very well stated.
Old 09-06-2005, 03:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm a dumb newbie trying to learn NLHE. I'm assuming stack him means that you know you're behind in the hand but are able to put him on a small range? And you know that he'll pay you off if you can hit what you need?

[/ QUOTE ]

"stack him" just means getting his stack -- busting him.
Old 09-06-2005, 04:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What he said.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah both were out and both boated on the turn [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

JT and AA. River K JT bets 200, AA makes it 800 and JT made a really bad call imo.