Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2005, 10:19 AM

Default Re: Heads up

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
"Having an aggro 1 factor with 61 vpip is very aggressive"

boy im sure confused. can you explain it to me again please. i sort of understand the af but how is 1 high if he's 61 vpip? thanks, mike

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Mike,

Think about it this way. If you played 60% of your hands the overall quality is so low that how often are YOU going to be able to put in bets and raises. Not very often. So when the VPIP gets really high, the AF will tend to be lower since there are so many times you will completely whiff.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said, exactly. This is why you shouldn't be freaked out by a guy who is VPIP 11 and aggro factor like 3.5. It's easy to be aggressive when you have an overpair almost every time. But if you're vpip is 5 times higher than this guy and you still have an AF of 1 - you must be in there jamming bottom pair, gutshots, etc. This is one reason I generally try not to use aggression factor as a reliable metric for hand reading, as not only can numbers be misleading, people find the stupidest times to be aggressive or passive.
-James
Old 09-04-2005, 12:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well said, exactly. This is why you shouldn't be freaked out by a guy who is VPIP 11 and aggro factor like 3.5. It's easy to be aggressive when you have an overpair almost every time. But if you're vpip is 5 times higher than this guy and you still have an AF of 1 - you must be in there jamming bottom pair, gutshots, etc

[/ QUOTE ]

James, not sure if I'm reading the last line right. Are you saying that a guy with a VPIP of 55 and AF of 1 is still doing a lot of jamming? I think if he was his AF would still be be higher than 1. You don't think so?
Old 09-04-2005, 02:17 PM

In my experience, which is not on-line, if I have been betting all the way with an ace on board, and I get check-raised on the river, my one pair has rarely been any good.
Old 09-04-2005, 02:21 PM

its a drawless board and the 9 paired. check the turn and call a river bet or valuebet if checked to.

^ if this assessment is wrong someone please explain why
Old 09-04-2005, 02:31 PM

I check this river unless I know BB is an extreme calling station.
Old 09-04-2005, 02:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In my experience, which is not on-line, if I have been betting all the way with an ace on board, and I get check-raised on the river, my one pair has rarely been any good.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can get alot of value out of these loose players on boards like this. They like to call down small pocket pairs, and any pair on the board.
Old 09-04-2005, 02:34 PM

You usually expect to hear from an ace before the river against these types, he had a 9 i forgot what.. k9,q9 something like that.

thanks for the responses
truth
Old 09-04-2005, 04:53 PM

ok so since i seem to see quite a few 40-60 vpips in the games i play in what would a passive AF be for those guys?
Old 09-04-2005, 05:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ok so since i seem to see quite a few 40-60 vpips in the games i play in what would a passive AF be for those guys?

[/ QUOTE ]
Less than 0.5.
Old 09-04-2005, 05:45 PM

I agree with your line. That's an ugly board for queens and regardless of if you're up against a total donk how often is he bluffing with absolutely nothing (K high)? You have an overcard and a paired board on the turn. I would check behind and hope to pick off a bluff/lower pair on the river and save myself 1-2 BB by avoiding A/x and 9/x. By the way why did you call the river? You were already behind to A/x and 9/x. The river completed the 2/3 gutshot.