Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2005, 03:22 PM

Default Re: How should the rapists and murderers be handled?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Are you seriously comparing what's happening in New Orleans with what happened in New York in 2001? You don't see why there might be a little bit of a difference in circumstances?

Go back to your AIDs analogies.

[/ QUOTE ]

I see a huge difference... but that doesn't change the fact that we are seeing two different classes (not necessarily races) react to an oppurtunistic situation differently.

In NY... locals could had easily feared for their life's and well-being, and used this excuse to loot. As it is... citizens organized themselves and even started walking (what an idea) mile to safer locations. Remember all those scenes of thousands of worried people walking across the Brooklyn bridge?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah....but authority was still in place after 9/11, and we had just been attacked by terrorists.
Old 09-03-2005, 03:23 PM

Law enforcement could still be in place in LA if LOCAL authorities had done better planning and prep.
Old 09-03-2005, 03:40 PM

What's the question? They'll be dealt with the same way they always have been: identified and caught if they can be, prosecuted if there's sufficient evidence and public resources, tried by a jury of their peers, found guilty or innocent and, if found guilty, sentenced.

And as for Bicycles, I'm glad this tragedy has allowed you to revel in whatever your grudge is against poor people, black people or whatever admixture of the two makes you giddy with relief from the massive feelings of failure, worthlessness and shame you carry around with you from day to day.
Old 09-03-2005, 03:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What's the question? They'll be dealt with the same way they always have been: identified and caught if they can be, prosecuted if there's sufficient evidence and public resources, tried by a jury of their peers, found guilty or innocent and, if found guilty, sentenced.

And as for Bicycles, I'm glad this tragedy has allowed you to revel in whatever your grudge is against poor people, black people or whatever admixture of the two makes you giddy with relief from the massive feelings of failure, worthlessness and shame you carry around with you from day to day.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's pretty deep for someone that's never met and/or spoke with me.

Did you get all that information about my life from Ms. Cleo?

How about you "act" intelligent and try to persuade me in the methods of arguement and debate... not name calling?

BTW... did you donate any money to the Red-Cross or are you still hitting people up for donations so you can buy a computer?
Old 09-03-2005, 03:56 PM

Thanks.

Nope.

How about you "act" intelligent and try to persuade me in the methods of arguement and debate... not name calling?

What's the point? You wanna paint a vast swath of people with blame that falls on the shoulders of a tiny number. Your posts are an endless, useless pile of misdirected anger.

BTW... did you donate any money to the Red-Cross or are you still hitting people up for donations so you can buy a computer?

Yes, I've donated and, yes, I guess I'm still "hitting people up" for money for a computer in that I haven't taken down that my email address from the converter, in much the same way that I haven't altered anything about the converter in almost half a year. You sure shamed me there.

Try harder.
Old 09-03-2005, 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Thanks.

Nope.

What's the point? You wanna paint a vast swath of people with blame that falls on the shoulders of a tiny number. Your posts are an endless, useless pile of misdirected anger.

Yes, I've donated and, yes, I guess I'm still "hitting people up" for money for a computer in that I haven't taken down that my email address from the converter, in much the same way that I haven't altered anything about the converter in almost half a year. You sure shamed me there.

Try harder.

[/ QUOTE ]

Settle down Bicycles, BisonBison made a good point. The solution to the OP's question is quite simple. You hold these people accountable for their actions, as would would anyone else. If a law was broken you charge the guilty parties with the crime and follow due process. 1+1+1=3
Old 09-03-2005, 04:10 PM

The problem is that the entire infra-structure of LA is decimated.

It's hard enough to keep people breathing and eating right now... much less pull and episode of "Law and Order" out of our rear-end and thoroughly investigate rapes and murders.
Old 09-03-2005, 04:19 PM

Bison... all harshness aside... thank you for donating to the Red-cross... I'm a big supporter and I hope others will follow your lead.
Old 09-05-2005, 02:05 AM

quote]People looting goods should be given a bit of a break, but anybody engaging in violence should be given a harsh sentence.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-05-2005, 11:05 AM

If the actions were violent (firing guns into crowds, rapes, murders, etc.) then the book should be thrown at them, and HARD. I would even support a death penalty for the truly heinous. This is an opportunity to show that there will be no screwing around for future conduct in similar situations.

The looting is a little more forgiveable. The common law dictates that anyone who trespasses (and probably steals for personal use) during a disaster is liable for the loss. So, I support civil damages there. Criminal damages in these cases will probably do nothing more than just clog up the courts and prevent the serious crimes from becoming adjudicated.