Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2005, 11:52 AM

Default Re: Is this all in on the flop reasonable or stupid?

Where can I find this Article? I HATE playing OOP and I would probably not have even raised it here. If I played it as is I would have called the min-raise. But Maybe I need to reasses this strategy. Reading that article sound like somthing i need to do.
Old 09-03-2005, 11:58 AM

Was in the 2+2 internet magazine a few months ago. I was gonna link to it but it seems they've taken it of the internet.
[ QUOTE ]
Two Plus Two Internet Magazine licenses its articles from the authors only for a period of three months. All articles older than that are removed from the website, and their rights return to their authors. We want to treat our authors right, and one way we do that is to allow them full use of their quality work in a timely fashion.

If you are looking for a specific article that is older than three months, you should contact the author directly.

Ed Miller
Editor
Two Plus Two Internet Magazine

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-03-2005, 12:00 PM

Shucks! Does he address this play in TOP at all? I haven't read it all the way through yet.
Old 09-03-2005, 12:08 PM

Not specifically. He will for sure in the nl-book coming out in december(?).
Old 09-03-2005, 02:09 PM

I'm really surprised people are mostly discussing my pre-flop play! I thought I was just doing a standard raise to 4xBB. I could have added more because of limpers, but these guys werent too loose and I didnt want everyone to just fold.

But why is no one saying anything about the all in? I was really unsure about it. It totally overbets the pot.
On the other hand I think theres a very good chance villain would fold a pair here, as well as a straight draw. I had a strong draw so I went with it. I could have just called, but then I lose all the fold equity, and I will only see one card before having to call another pot sized bet presumably.
Old 09-04-2005, 06:06 AM

Anyone have any thoughts about my all in here? This situation just came up for me again, and I went all in with my AKs flush draw. I got called by a guy who flopped two pair, though I hit my flush. Does this sort of all in make any sense? Or am I just lucky on these two hands?
Old 09-04-2005, 08:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone have any thoughts about my all in here? This situation just came up for me again, and I went all in with my AKs flush draw. I got called by a guy who flopped two pair, though I hit my flush. Does this sort of all in make any sense? Or am I just lucky on these two hands?

[/ QUOTE ]Really, it's fine. You're only afraid of a set, and you want to get money in on the flop while you're still a favorite.

It can be problematic if you play only big draws this way, as opponents tend to notice 5x overbets and may start playing correctly against you.
Old 09-04-2005, 10:34 AM

I don't think an allin is good when the pot is so small compared to your stack (you will only be called by better than one-pair hands leaving you with only 9 outs in a huge pot). A heavy reraise is better IMO.

If you play often with the same people and you also move allin when you have a made good hand these kinds of plays could help you with disguise your hand but otherwise I would avoid this play
Old 09-04-2005, 10:50 AM

I like the postflop all in play here. To me, it looks better than flat calling or folding, considering you have a lot of pot equity here, and it is likely that hero is ahead in the hand. Despite the fact that villain will probably only call if hero is an underdog in the hand, hero still has fold equity here, and at least nine outs if villain is in fact ahead in the hand. Also, going all in rather than making a large reraise ensures that you will see both fourth and fifth street, and helps hero avoid a tough decistion on the turn (if one of his outs doesnt hit). I put villain on a PP between 77 and TT BTW.
Old 09-04-2005, 11:04 AM

I understand your argument about seeing both cards and Hero is indeed OOP, but I still think allin is excessive here.

There is a section in HoH1 where Dan Harrington discusses an allin preflop with QQ (not raise, reraise, but straight allin) and actually calculates this as -EV with large stacks.

This is ofcours not the same since you have more equity when called, but still I think it translates a little bit. It could be interesting to see some EV calcs on this, Im too lazy ZzzZ