Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2005, 10:03 PM

Default Re: My friend, rehab, and insanity

dude, you're gettin a dell!
Old 09-02-2005, 10:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I may have not expressed this clearly: He has not done cocaine in over two weeks. I am 98% sure.

He has been smoking a lot of pot, however.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not drug induced. I have had many friends sent to rehab for every drug under the sun. This sounds exactly like my one friend whose parents tried to send him to rehand. When he got there they wouldn't even check him in. They immediately told them he was schizophrenic and sent him to an inpatient facility. Your friend doesn't need rehab he needs an inpatient facility.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:08 PM

very odd -

I will admit, having smoked weed, it can take you into a bit of a weirdo wonderland - never heard of that kind of irrationality however -

sheeeeiiitttt - makes me nervous to even keep using it - LOL -

RB
Old 09-02-2005, 10:10 PM

Don't worry. If you don't have any pre-existing conditions drugs will not make you crazy (except meth but you have to do a lot).

If you have a pre-existing condition many drugs will exacerbate it however.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:13 PM

Years ago, I had a freind who was doing a bunch of meth and may have taken some acid which triggered an incredibly intense manic episode that lasted for weeks. Many of the scenarios you describe sound familiar. I would take whatever he offers and hold on to it for safe keeping. I would also talk with his parents about the need to have him committed; the rules for having someone committed probably vary from state to state and perhaps by county. I think when we did it, we had to call the sherriff and have her picked up. She was held for psychiatric evaluation for about 48 hours then moved to a facility for intensive care and medication to normalize her chemical levels.

Consult with doctors and local authorities and keep his parents involved; turning your backs on the situation will not make it go away. Joe could be a serious threat to himself or others and should at least recieve a professional diagnosis.

edit: she certainly was already bi-polar but I believe to this day that the drug use (primarily meth) triggered the intense episode
Old 09-02-2005, 10:14 PM

that's the problem - depression/bi-polar/obsessive compulsive behaviors don't mix well with drugs

RB
Old 09-02-2005, 10:25 PM

He broke his phone as an example of how possesions are useless. (he was ranting about this apparently)

edit: He is 22.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He broke his phone as an example of how possesions are useless. (he was ranting about this apparently)

[/ QUOTE ]

Man... that is exactly, EXACTLY what my friend did. Threw his phone into the fireplace and went on a twenty minute rant about how possessions are useless.

IANAPsychologist, but this sounds exactly like my friend who was diagnosed with Schizophrenia. He really needs a therapist and he needs everyone in his life to be there for him. The best thing you can do for him is have him comitted to an inpatient program.

Edit: 22 yo... man... if I didn't know better I would swear this was just a really bad flashback.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:28 PM

Could you elaborate on what or where he is getting his spiritual "enlightenment"? What religion did he find or what books or philosophies is he getting this from? Could you elaborate more on what he believes other than he believes he is a God unto himself?
Old 09-02-2005, 10:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Consult with doctors and local authorities and keep his parents involved; turning your backs on the situation will not make it go away. Joe could be a serious threat to himself or others and should at least recieve a professional diagnosis.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because he is refusing any sort of help, police and counselors suggested that he be cut off by all his friends. They said that he must hit rock bottom and believe he has nothing. Only then will he seek help.

This really scares me, however. He thinks he is invincible and I am worried he may hurt hmself.

btw, thanks for the good responses, this has been an extremely emotional day.