Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2005, 02:03 PM

Default Re: Steal Raise gets action .. Bluff the river?

How you played it, you need to bet the river because the pot is big and he might fold king high. Don't get into spots like this though, flop 3bet is fine but take the freecard - the ace doesn't change things.

-SmileyEH
Old 09-02-2005, 03:33 PM

The answers here mostly baffle me.

So on the turn there are 5bb in the pot, the best possible scare card that doesn't make our hand comes, he needs to fold to my turn bet a little less than 1/6 times, and everyone wants to check. Sigh.

Does anyone want to back this up with some reasoning. You don't think he'll fold 1/6 with his range of hands on the flop? And even if he calls with a pair I likely have 10 outs. If this is not a spot for a semibluff I don't know what is. You think he's calling the turn with 66? Sometimes he will, but then I have 10 outs.

[ QUOTE ]
I don't have huge problems with the flop three-bet, actually. But you need to realize that players who check-raise the flop in heads-up pots usually aren't folding. They'll assume you're stealing all the way and aren't goin' nowhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

I get people to fold here all the time. They c/r a ragged flop because I likely missed, but they likely missed too. And I was planning on checking the turn unimproved, unless I get an ace. A lot of small pairs are folding the turn, and an 8 has a tough decision. If I limit my 3 betting the flop to hands that are made or have a lot of outs then 66 or Q8 will be losing money to me by calling the turn when I bet it.

[ QUOTE ]
And think about the river seriously. He called the turn once the A hit. If that wasn't enough to scare him, will the 4 be? The only value would be forcing an opponent off a K high draw of some kind. That's not going to be the case nearly enough to merit a bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I completely agree. We only need to fold out k high and QJ. I mainly wondered if people would think that the pot size justified a river bet. Anyway I checked and his Ksxs took the pot, which of course made me sick. But I still think that the river check was right. Just wondered if anyone could change my mind with some good reasoning.

Lastly, I don't mean to discourage responses by disagreeing, or be rude. But I think some of the advice on this forum is just not well thought out. For everyone that wanted to play this hand very passively, would you understand the aggression better if I had a flush draw instead of the gutshot + overcards? It's hu after a steal raise; we have position and a good draw, this is not the time to be passive.

I think the turn bet is a pretty easy bet, but I guess if you think that our opponent will never fold a small pair or an 8, you can reasonably argue that a turn check is good. But remember also if he has xsxs, JT, 67, or a gutshot he is the one getting the free card.
Old 09-02-2005, 03:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How you played it, you need to bet the river because the pot is big and he might fold king high. Don't get into spots like this though, flop 3bet is fine but take the freecard - the ace doesn't change things.

-SmileyEH

[/ QUOTE ]

There are 7bb in the pot on the river. Do you think he will have K high often enough to justify a bet. You were right he did have K high here, I just couldn't put him on K high 13% of the time.

I don't understand how people don't think an ace on the turn changes anything, see my other post.