Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2005, 12:42 PM

Default Re: lost ~90% of BR

[ QUOTE ]
You're playing NL1000 with 25 buy-ins? There's your problem.

[/ QUOTE ]
there was a variance discussion a few weeks ago in mid/high and we came to the conclusion that nobody had lost more than 10 buy in's in a row. i think 25 is enough (i know you think 50) but do you really have to have 20K to play in a 2/4 game?

variance is not that cruel.
Old 09-01-2005, 12:46 PM

The thing people don't understand is that those bankroll requirements are artificial. They assume you want to play the same limit for the rest of your life and will never move down. If you are willing to move down if you lose half your bankroll, you can make due with much less. Most people make the mistake of persisting at the same limit in this situation (or playing higher to try and recover) and then go broke. Discipline is the key to continuing to stay in the money.

Jeff
Old 09-01-2005, 02:21 PM

So sorry to hear that.
My advice is to step back away from poker for a week and try to look at yourself from the outside. Where you heading? What do you really want?
After that you may have an answer. If you decide to continue the grind, make sure to keep the chin up.
Best of luck

Brian
Old 09-01-2005, 02:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My roll was at $25K at one point. Now it's under $2K. I play NL. My regular game was 5-10 blinds. I'd buy-in for $500 live and $1000 online.

[/ QUOTE ]

How about some history? How long you been playing at these levels? How long did you play the 600 level which is right below the 1000 level? How many hands? Did you beat it consistently before moving up? How about the other levels?
Old 09-01-2005, 06:34 PM

Its cruel I agree.
You are not a pro right now, its for sure. You need no-poker money to support yourself. Take a 2 week break from poker to be sure that you are not gambling addict. Consider your financial options, we dont know anything about your life situation but if you need a job, get it.
If you have eveyrthing establish and you are sure that you can live without poker money you can go back and try to grind it down. With 2k roll 100NL is correct place to start. Not 1/2 NL.
Losing 20 buyins at 1000NL is almost 100% bad play. These games just dont have this kind of variance. You dont have moneymanagement skill and you almost certainly dont have enough other poker skills. Get a job , get a life and come back to poker in peaceful state of mind.

Best wishes
Old 09-01-2005, 06:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also quit whining. Thousands of people died horrible deaths this week, and you feel like the last two months have been "cruel". Suffering is a part of life. Learn to accept that or kill yourself. I don't really care which.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is dumb. Suffering is not objective and people dying in Africa or somewhere else have nothing to do with it. Also final statement is just rude.
Old 09-01-2005, 06:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You're playing NL1000 with 25 buy-ins? There's your problem.

[/ QUOTE ]
there was a variance discussion a few weeks ago in mid/high and we came to the conclusion that nobody had lost more than 10 buy in's in a row. i think 25 is enough (i know you think 50) but do you really have to have 20K to play in a 2/4 game?

variance is not that cruel.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are prone to tilt you are going to need a lot more than 25 buyins...then again, if you are prone to tilt I guess you shouldn't be playing NL1000.

I play SNGs and six max (both very swingy)...
Old 09-01-2005, 08:49 PM

start back up at NL200. And if you still have tilt problems consider moving down
Old 09-01-2005, 09:29 PM

Take a break. When you are pissed off you make mistakes. Anger leads to firing too many chips when you shouldn't.

Taking a break hasn't failed me yet. Tough to do when you want to try getting your losses back, but it is the right thing to do.
Old 09-01-2005, 10:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Pretty easy to see the right answer to this question.

Step down to a level low enough that you have a low ROR and grind it out.

Wow, that was hard.

Also quit whining. Thousands of people died horrible deaths this week, and you feel like the last two months have been "cruel". Suffering is a part of life. Learn to accept that or kill yourself. I don't really care which.

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe its just me but you sound a lot more like a whiny bitch than the OP

edit: bitch isn't censored now?