Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2005, 02:19 AM

Default The missing variable

The one factor that has yet to be mentioned so far in any of these threads is fear. Or more precisely the fear of death.

There is an irony here...

Both the truly logical and the truly religious should not fear death (albeit for different reasons). However, the religious person might choose the torture of of the dogs based on the teachings that nothing is more precious than human life. But no logician worth his weight in salt, would believe that 6 hours of life is worth more than the suffering of any living creature.
Old 09-01-2005, 02:22 AM

Default Re: Sorry For Yet Another Dog Post

"When you say you are going to do something you should do it. Be a man of your word, and torture the dogs. Don't make verbal contracts you can't keep."

You are joking right? If not will someone please wring his neck?
Old 09-01-2005, 02:31 AM

Default Re: The missing variable

"But no logician worth his weight in salt, would believe that 6 hours of life is worth more than the suffering of any living creature."

Really? That's a bold statement. And you imply that would be true even if he needed those six hours to say his goodbyes. Care to explain why no good logician would disagree with you? And by living creatures do you include sea cucumbers? What about lobsters?
Old 09-01-2005, 02:50 AM

What if six hours gave the individual enough time to donate his 100,000,000 dollars to dying African children?
Old 09-01-2005, 02:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What if six hours gave the individual enough time to donate his 100,000,000 dollars to dying African children?

[/ QUOTE ]

Am I getting something out of it or not? Because it doesn't look like it and I already stated what I would need.
Old 09-01-2005, 03:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Am I getting something out of it or not? Because it doesn't look like it and I already stated what I would need.

[/ QUOTE ]

Um...ok...so he gives you 1,000,000 dollars and gives the dying Africans 99,000,000. PROBLEM SOLVED! right?
Old 09-01-2005, 03:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Um...ok...so he gives you 1,000,000 dollars and gives the dying Africans 99,000,000. PROBLEM SOLVED! right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep he can have the medicine!
Old 09-01-2005, 03:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Sloth,

How about if you have to torture 1,000 dogs and it will only extend the man's life by 1 second?

-PN

[/ QUOTE ]

I cant even fart in less than one second. the dogs can have that one.

-sloth [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-01-2005, 03:33 AM

Default Re: The missing variable

<font color="red">And you imply that would be true even if he needed those six hours to say his goodbyes. </font>

I don't think I said this. You stated that his family was around him and had already said their goodbyes.

So what would you say the intrinsic value of a life is with only 6 hours left? Just as a financial option expires worthless out of the money, so must life. I hope you are not saying that a logical mind must be cold and insensitive to pain and suffering. I also hope you are not saying that you must logically arrive at the same answer for a 6 year child who is NOT about to die. I fail to see how any logician would put more worth on the last 6 hours of life than on the pain and suffering of any other animal.

Btw- I don't believe sea cucumbers or crustacians are considered to be animals capable of feeling joy or sadness such as a dog can. So that point is moot.
Old 09-01-2005, 04:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Can you give a reason for your decison that would be persuasive to someone whose gut feeling would be to do the opposite?

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, how about that I don't condone torture?