Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2005, 03:35 PM

Default Re: LO8 Big Draw Turn Decision

Preflop: I could either fold this (probably) or play this hand (if there are enough people calling in front of me).

Once I'm in the hand, I try to play it as cheaply as possible (calling) so I can get to the river.

I see 13 outs to the nuts (either full house or diamonds for the flush) and another 9 outs to the heart flush (I would call a river bet here, but wouldn't raise.)

It looks to me like roughly half this deck improves your hand with the river card and a bunch of guys fightling over a nut low.

Dave
Old 09-01-2005, 06:27 PM

Default Re: LO8 Big Draw Turn Decision

[ QUOTE ]
For the record, they said fold the flop (not pre-flop).

[/ QUOTE ]

Alchemist - I stand corrected. Thank you for pointing out my error.

[ QUOTE ]
But I agree it's still a fold even after seeing this flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think playing the hand is a close decision, and then continuing after this flop is another close decision, except that, well... if you're going play a hand, then <font color="white">_</font>play it. In other words, maybe if this flop isn't good enough for you to play, then you shouldn't be playing the hand to begin with.

Top two pairs (including aces) on the flop, plus a backdoor nut flush draw, plus a non-nut flush draw but in a suit where the ace comes on the flop... I make it worth about six outs all together (4+1+1). With the money already in the pot plus implied odds if you catch on the turn... well... it's at least close.

[ QUOTE ]
To me, it's one of those hands that surrendering the half bet is worth saving the headache of getting semi-hit by the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can see that point of view. Three middle cards in a starting hand simply don't usually work very well, even with a suited ace included. Who needs headaches?! On the other hand, well... playing is more interesting than sitting out yet another hand - and you do get a bargain price from the small blind.

But then when the betting goes nuts after the turn, you'd have to wonder why you played the damned hand in the first place and why you continued after the flop in the second place. And again, at least in my own mind, you'd be facing a third close decision on the turn.

So... three close decisions in a row in the same hand... I agree it's a tough one.

Just my opinion.

Buzz