Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2005, 02:00 PM

Default Re: And I couldn\'t disagree with YOU more

[ QUOTE ]
Agree with much of your post, but associating "sport" and "poker" is just way off.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was just making a generalization about the way sports and games are broadcasted on ESPN. It seems to me they try to sensationalize and take things over the top when it really isn't necessary. People who like hockey can deal with just hockey without the hoopala. Same with poker.

Please don't take it the wrong way. There is nothing wrong with voicing your opinions to the people at ESPN. It just seems to me that they are really satisfied with the product they are offering. I personally don't like it, even if it is poker. It's like they show three hands and then its off to some side note about the food someone eats or another addition of "The Nuts."

But then again it is "entertainment," and people are watching. I was just saying that we could all complain about it, but it seems that "it is what it is," and we really can't expect to get a decent broadcast from ESPN, at least when thier covering poker. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

I just tune out when I hear that guitar intro.
Old 09-01-2005, 02:35 PM

Default Re: Don\'t bother emailing ESPN.

[ QUOTE ]
They are trying to appeal to the masses.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-01-2005, 03:56 PM

Default I\'m Sure This Has Been Said Before

What do you expect ESPN to show? Resteals? Calling down with middle pair heads up? The minor swings in chip stacks which we all know is the meat of tournament play? The times Q7 and Q9 split the pot on a Q T 3 3 5 board?

I'm more annoyed that they're showing some weaker holdings preflop when the FT gets narrowed. It used to be so easy to steal after steal at the FT when the ESPN crowd that swamped my low buy in tourneys would fold away blinds and small pots waiting to get AK against my JJ all in preflop.

Now when I raise it up with 56s in late MP, I get calls from A5o in the BB. That really sucks. And I blame all of you for harassing ESPN thus far.
Old 09-03-2005, 07:29 PM

Default In defence of ESPN

[ QUOTE ]
Let's be honest. Tuning in to ESPN WSOP to watch poker is like getting your news from tabloids. You get all the all-in hands with a ton of B.S. like "The Nuts." If you want the Wall Street Journal (to continue with my brutal analogy), you are not going to get it from ESPN.

[/ QUOTE ]

To be fair, that episode "Final Table with Greg Raymer" and the 3-hour Tournament of Champions were excellent. Raymer explained his thinking beautifully. And the TOC had great moments like Negreanu thinking out loud after raising into Chip Reese's nut flush.

They do some good stuff.
Old 09-04-2005, 06:52 PM

Default Re: In defence of ESPN

This sound like a bunch of house wives complaining about howard stern. If you don't like it, turn it off, buy a plane ticket and go watch 300 hours of blind steals in person.

And I like Norman Chad.

Ken
Old 09-06-2005, 07:36 PM

I like Norman Chad too . . . in moderation. Him being the only "color" commentator gets on ones nerves. I don't think it would hurt to bring in an "expert" (i.e., a real poker pro) to do commentary.

There was a hand recently where Phil Gordon went all-in, saw the cards and said something like "I am the 93% favorite to win the pot." Chad says something like, "How does he know that? I have the stats in front of me and I don't know that." I understand that he was trying to be funny. But can you picture a football commentator saying something like, "I don't even know what a nickel defense is." Or would you rather have the commentator explain what a nickel defense is, what it is used for, and it's strengths and weaknesses.
Old 09-06-2005, 09:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This sound like a bunch of house wives complaining about howard stern. If you don't like it, turn it off, buy a plane ticket and go watch 300 hours of blind steals in person.

And I like Norman Chad.

Ken

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd rather watch people steal the blinds than watch episodes of the nuts where you get to watch people play paper, rock, scissors. If that's how bad each version of the nuts has gotten, they should get rid of that part of the show, and add in an extra hand or two instead.
Old 09-07-2005, 12:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

And I like Norman Chad.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is very telling. Norman Chad hasn't had a funny bone in him since his ex-wife fisted him.