Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2005, 01:17 PM

Default Re: When board pairs on the Flop

400 posts in a couple of weeks, you're pretty clever, and you know how to spell 'definitely'.
Old 08-31-2005, 01:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
400 posts in a couple of weeks, you're pretty clever, and you know how to spell 'definitely'.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol, I'm still on break from school, and the majority of my friends around here are at their respective schools. I doubt I'll be posting much come next week.
Old 08-31-2005, 01:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Typically I have seen that in a mutiway the first to bet is usually priced out on the turn. The assumption being if someone had trips they would not lead out (which is why I usually lead out if I have the 7). Being UTG I see the position raise in front of me then inevitably a check raise behind me. This is more typical at the early levels but less so as the field thins. Seems to be a common play but maybe I have a selective memory.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think most of what you're seeing isn't bluffing. There seems to be pretty good agreement among the donk community that 1) checking the flop and putting in a small raise or check/raise on the turn is the only respectable way to play trips and 2) nobody ever flops trips.

I'm trying to learn how to capitalize on this. If there are no draws out, I like to play this loose/passively on the flop; no idea if that's right. Typically, someone who bets doesn't have the trips, and they're likely either making a weird bluff, kickered, or kickering you. If someone bets on the flop and he gets more than two callers, realize that there's a shortage of hands that would call that you have beat. If nobody bets, you're in a tough spot on the turn because a lot of players will open the turn with trips, and a lot will bet here with nothing or a turned pair. If there's a draw on the flop, I often surrender here, or make a small bet and fold to action.

No idea if these are reasonable guidelines. Any comments?