Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2005, 03:11 PM

Default Re: I found this hand interesting

There are definitely times that this happens, and at 5/10 full you can't be automatically folding TPTK to turn raises, but I do think people call down turn raises too much with nothing but TPTK. A lot of players are blowing 2BBs on this line because they hate having shots taken at them and fear folding winners; in my opinion your winrate will go up as your W$@SD goes up learning when the right time is to fold TPTK to a big street raise.

In this hand, MHWG, but I mostly liked how I controlled the aggression on the streets when it was most necessary. Checking the turn here would have been a disaster.
Old 08-31-2005, 03:23 PM

This hand is well played. Leading the turn I think is the only real option. Pre-flop I think is pretty close to neutral EV; I think A9o is a fold, ATs an easy call, A9s and ATo about even. Straightforward peel on the flop with the gutshot outs and the overcards getting 8.5-1.
Old 08-31-2005, 03:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Checking the turn here would have been a disaster.

[/ QUOTE ]

Checking the turn would make this hand very hard to play. A checkthrough is a disaster.
Old 08-31-2005, 03:46 PM

would a lag really check through though? id be tempted to cr because i know lag will bet and the station will call...
Old 08-31-2005, 03:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
would a lag really check through though? id be tempted to cr because i know lag will bet and the station will call...

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not the only reason we check here. PJ's idea of "controlling aggression" is an interesting one; we want to maximize value here while also trying to avoid tricky situations. If we check, and it goes bet-raise, what do we do, for example? Building a huge pot here and getting our opponents psychologically tied to the pot could be a bad result; our hand is very vulnerable to overcards, and we really want many opponents to fold here. Check-raising may make the pot so big they won't fold (and will actually be calling correctly).
Old 08-31-2005, 04:10 PM

but thats assuming one or both of them can fold cards in this spot right? if you know the cs will not fold a mid pair, then why not trap him for two bets? i think your points are valid...but controlling pot size against a fish seems unnecessary when you know hes going to call anyways.
Old 08-31-2005, 04:13 PM

that being said, after thinking about this hand some more, i dont think we can rely on utg to bet this turn if hes on overs. i like the donk. if this hand were HU id probably cr.