Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2005, 08:37 PM

Default Re: SS to supplement income?

I've never played B&M. I am looking forward to it.
Old 08-30-2005, 08:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've never played B&M. I am looking forward to it.

[/ QUOTE ]

B&M is definitely a different experience. I can say that I enjoy it more than online play by a longshot. Of course I only get to play at a B&M 1 or 2 times a week so that may have something to do with it. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-30-2005, 11:40 PM

thank you all for your input and advice. i observe 2-4 and 3-6 games at many popular websites and i must say that the play at these tables is more often than not abominable, which may or may not give me a false sense of confidence. is a pokertracker challenging to set up? i am not familiar with this program and am not the most computer literate person in the world. also what is a party skin? just a site similar to party poker? what would your advice be on trying online tournaments? i have a very good record of money finishes in B&M cardrooms, but i assume like ring games that online tourneys are somewhat different.
Old 08-30-2005, 11:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
is a pokertracker challenging to set up? i am not familiar with this program and am not the most computer literate person in the world.

[/ QUOTE ]

It sets itself up once you download the program; there's a free trial version that allows you to import some number of hands (5,000?) before you pay a cent. Their website's FAQ will answer most questions you may encounter, and the forums here will help you through anything else you're having trouble with.

[ QUOTE ]
what is a party skin? just a site similar to party poker?

[/ QUOTE ]

There are several different sites which run the exact same software as Party Poker (just with different color schemes & graphics; hence the term "skin"). When you play on one of those sites you have access to the exact same ring games as you would if you were playing on Party; in other words, a person playing on Party could be sitting at the same table & playing against someone on a different skin (and often is). The only real difference is that each skin runs their own tournaments (Party, being the biggest skin, also has the biggest tournaments) and you can only play on the Bad Beat & High Hand Jackpot tables on Party itself. The two most popular "skins" are called Empire and Eurobet.

[ QUOTE ]
what would your advice be on trying online tournaments?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have never played in a "live" tournament so I might not be the best person to answer this question, but it's my experience that the biggest difference is that online tournaments typically have much bigger fields, and of course take place far more often. Quite a few people play online tournaments exclusively, and make good money doing so. If anything, I would think that the low buy-in online tournaments (like $5+1, $10+1, etc) are fishier than those you'd typically find in a B&M--you will see some extremely bad players in these. When you get into the higher buy-ins ($100+), that's when you run into some really good players.
Old 08-31-2005, 12:05 AM

I searched the internet forum and didn't find an answer to the following question:

If I have accounts on multiple party skins, is it possible to play on both at the same time from the same computer. (I'm not trying to cheat, I just like to multi-table alot)
Old 08-31-2005, 12:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If I have accounts on multiple party skins, is it possible to play on both at the same time from the same computer. (I'm not trying to cheat, I just like to multi-table alot)

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, you can. I've never tried it, but I doubt the software will allow you to join the same table on different accounts.

People who play more than 4 tables at a time usually do so by playing on multiple skins. I don't play that many tables, but I sometimes do have Party and Empire open for datamining, and from time to time I'll be playing 1 or 2 tables of hold'em on Party and a table of Omaha8 on Empire at the same time.
Old 08-31-2005, 12:26 AM

thanks

I know you cannot play at the same table if you come from the same IP. One of my dumbass roommates tried to sit down at my table and they blocked it, warned him to never again, and sent me an email to notify me that our accounts are linked and cannot play at the same time no matter the IP.
Old 08-31-2005, 02:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
do not sign up without a rakeback account, period. Shop around EXTENSIVELY for a REPUTABLE one, do NOT sign up on a whim.

Welcome to the grind.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please forgive my stupidity, but what are rakebacks, how do they work and how do I get involved.

Thanks,
-David
Old 08-31-2005, 02:39 AM

YOu can get a % of your rake back, up to 30% at certain sites. Look in the classified section. Usually you can only do it if you don't already have an account for the site.