Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2005, 02:25 AM

Default Re: I bet...

[ QUOTE ]
I think what jason is refering to is players who will checkraise a small stacked opponent, not taking into account they ARE pot commited. And doing this with air. Very bad..

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Many posters here would improve if they stopped check raising when they were in spots where their opponents WERE NOT pot committed.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
How did you come to that conclusion based on this sentence?
Old 08-30-2005, 02:25 AM

Responses make head explode.

Nick
Old 08-30-2005, 02:28 AM

Hero is BB with a big stack. Horrible player in mid position limps with 10BB and a small PP. Hero minraises for no reason. flop comes all overs to the weak player. instead of betting out and making the weak player fold hero check raises all in, villian feels pot commited only having 4BB behind, villian calls. Hero looks like a donk.

btw, i do not play this way.
Old 08-30-2005, 02:28 AM

No i wasnt saying this.

OK fine.

One example.

Guy raises u call and flop a small set and has 100bb early in a tourney. Instead of maybe check raising the flop which I bet many will do, or some other type of wait till turn and CR, you could just lead the flop and if he raises reraise. You will not see anyone lay down overpairs to that often. But if you do some flop CR or wait till turn or CR people often will get away from it, or scare cards will come that kill your action.

Heres the key: checkraises are good for maximizing value versus bluffs, but often it is much more important to maximize value versus worse made hands.
Old 08-30-2005, 02:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
No i wasnt saying this.

OK fine.

One example.

Guy raises u call and flop a small set and has 100bb early in a tourney. Instead of maybe check raising the flop which I bet many will do, or some other type of wait till turn and CR, you could just lead the flop and if he raises reraise. You will not see anyone lay down overpairs to that often. But if you do some flop CR or wait till turn or CR people often will get away from it, or scare cards will come that kill your action.

Heres the key: checkraises are good for maximizing value versus bluffs, but often it is much more important to maximize value versus worse made hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

An additional benefit to a line like check-call bet(turn) is that you can use less chips to stop bluffs, further maximizing the value in those situations.
Old 08-30-2005, 02:32 AM

I agree. You posted a hand awhile back emphasizing the check-call flop, lead turn line which I like a lot in many situation.
Old 08-30-2005, 02:45 AM

Link to this hand? I think the main reason I (and I assume other people) check raise the flop is because it would suck if he just folded to a small bet on the rare occassion that you flop a monster. I would like to add this to my arsenal however.
Old 08-30-2005, 02:50 AM

It would suck, but you'll more than make up for the one bet you would have gotten out of him the time sthat you take his entire stack.
Old 08-30-2005, 02:57 AM

advantages and disadvantages of betting into the preflop raiser is discussed in super system. Its something to have in your arsenal.
Old 08-30-2005, 03:27 AM

OT: A well placed c/r is my recent weapon of choice when card dead. Typically: aggro big stack in CO makes 3BB, you, small stack in SB or BB, hesitantly call. Rapid check on a raggedy flop. Big stack bets, you reraise significantly. I have 8 folds out of the last 8 times I've tried this, though I've gone up in flames a couple of times too.