Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2005, 06:37 AM

Default Re: Natural Born Killers / Oliver Stone

There was nothing on any of the movie channels and I hadn't watched this in a while. There are aspects of it that I enjoy watching.
Old 08-29-2005, 08:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why the hell would you watch it three times then?

[/ QUOTE ]

I watched this POS twice myself, because of a buddy that just kept insisting I didn't "get" it. There's nothing to "get." I agree wholeheartedly with OP's assessment.

The next good movie Oliver Stone makes will be his first.
Old 08-29-2005, 08:50 AM

Movie was awesome when it was released and is still awesome today.
Old 08-29-2005, 08:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I watched this POS twice myself, because of a buddy that just kept insisting I didn't "get" it. There's nothing to "get." I agree wholeheartedly with OP's assessment.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure if this is just generalizing/being funny or if you actually feel this way. If it's the latter, check out Platoon and Wallstreet, just to name two.

Swede
Old 08-29-2005, 08:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure if this is just generalizing/being funny or if you actually feel this way. If it's the latter, check out Platoon and Wallstreet, just to name two.

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

Born On the 4th of July was great; definitely my favorite.

craig
Old 08-29-2005, 09:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

Born On the 4th of July was great; definitely my favorite.

craig

[/ QUOTE ]

I've seen all of these movies, can't stand any of 'em. They're filled with repugnant characters that I cannot muster any emotion for, and IMO the downfall of any movie is when the audience cannot care about the characters. People in Stone's movies seem to be either total scumbags or completely ineffective and indecisive.

Hated Tom Cruise in BOTFOJ, too. Thought he was absolutely terrible. The part where he gets screaming drunk and then rips his catheter out is just ridiculous. On another note, is there a law that Tom Cruise has to do a scene where he gets drunk and goes on a whining binge in like 75% of his movies?

(Stupid Trivia Time: The screenplay for BOTFOJ was originally titled "Born in the USA", but the author had sent the screenplay to a popular musician to ask him to write a song for it; the musician never did write a song for the project but he did rip off the title for a song and album that became somewhat popular in the eighties. Later, said musician wrote a song for another of the screenwriter's projects in return, a movie that ended up being called, "Light Of Day.")

I did think the performances in Platoon were pretty good, but the visuals were overdone.

Stone's butchering of Jim Morrison's life and image in the movie "The Doors" is one of the great biopic crimes of all time.

Haven't seen the Nixon or Kennedy pictures because by that point I had decided Stone's films were worthless. I still might have watched the Kennedy thing if Kevin Costner weren't in it; Costner may very well be the worst actor of our generation. I have read enough about the movie to know that Stone took large liberties with the facts through and through.

I have thought for a long time that Stone is just a hack with high production values.

Things like this are totally subjective. I'm sure some of you don't enjoy the films of Sergio Leone or Walter Hill.
Old 08-29-2005, 09:23 AM

Hey, everyone's entitled to their opinion. I'm happy you weren't just throwing out a blanket statement, "Oliver Stone is poo!!!!!111," just for the sake of being clever. As I said, I do enjoy several of his movies, but I wouldn't rank Stone as one of my top ten favorite directors.

Swede
Old 08-29-2005, 09:31 AM

Yeah, I'm also not a big fan of blanket statements like that. I also like expressing my opinion, but wouldn't want anyone who disagrees with me thinking I'm saying; "You're Wrong!!" because I don't feel movies or music or even something like "funny" can be judged that way, and doing so destroys any debate. One man's pain is another's pleasure.

Back to Natural Born Killers and Tarentino, I had heard that he told a couple of actors, Steve Buscemi being one of them, that if they took a part in NBK for Stone, they would never work in one of his movies again. Just a rumor, but I always got a kick out of it, probably because I'm a big Tarentino fan but not of Stone's.
Old 08-29-2005, 10:00 AM

i felt natural born killers ended up trying too hard to be disturbing. so much so that it began to take away from the story it was trying to tell.
Old 08-29-2005, 10:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Movie was awesome when it was released and is still awesome today.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree. The 5% nation sees its brilliance.