Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2005, 11:01 PM

Default Re: hurricane media hype

not only is it a cat 5, its also much larger than previous cat 5 that have hit land. The eye of the storm is on a direct path to new orleans, thats REALLY bad.

The city has to pump water out as it is, if power goes out and they get hit as hard as they are saying, its going to be bad.
Old 08-28-2005, 11:01 PM

K, I just assumed its all hype as it normally is. thats a bad sun rising.
Old 08-28-2005, 11:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
K, I just assumed its all hype as it normally is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not this time.
Old 08-28-2005, 11:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One fact to keep in mind is that the media isnt hyping up the power of the storm. Disaster advisors, meteorologists are saying it could be very bad.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is true, you do have educated meteorologits saying thta the storm is very strong and could lead to much destruction. But then you have this followed by asshat anchors who speculate forever. On Fox News, The king of hype, I have heard them say how it is possible that because of all the graveyards being flooded would lead to corpses floating throughout the city causing the return of the black plague and possibly killing many more due to disease and pestilance. They also said New Orleans could be the new Atlantis and possibly never be inhabited again. Thats a quote.

SO while it is legit that this is a dangerous storm that could be one of the strongest to hit the US ever, there is plenty of over hyping going on that boil down to making this into as much of a story as possible rather than reporting.
Old 08-28-2005, 11:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone point me to a non-hype site to read what could happen?

[/ QUOTE ]

FoxNews
Old 08-28-2005, 11:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
One fact to keep in mind is that the media isnt hyping up the power of the storm. Disaster advisors, meteorologists are saying it could be very bad.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is true, you do have educated meteorologits saying thta the storm is very strong and could lead to much destruction. But then you have this followed by asshat anchors who speculate forever. On Fox News, The king of hype, I have heard them say how it is possible that because of all the graveyards being flooded would lead to corpses floating throughout the city causing the return of the black plague and possibly killing many more due to disease and pestilance. They also said New Orleans could be the new Atlantis and possibly never be inhabited again. Thats a quote.
SO while it is legit that this is a dangerous storm that could be one of the strongest to hit the US ever, there is plenty of over hyping going on that boil down to making this into as much of a story as possible rather than reporting.

[/ QUOTE ]

I heard that on CNN too.
Old 08-28-2005, 11:13 PM

They have been saying for years everytime a hurricane develops, if a category 5 hurricane ever hits, New Orleans will be in deep trouble, the city is not capable of handling it the way it is built.

This may be the one they have been hoping never came.
Old 08-28-2005, 11:21 PM

This is very true. I was in Charleston in 89' for Hugo. Charleston is a very low-lying city/area, but nothing compared to NO. As its shaping up, this will likely be stronger than Hugo, and Hugo devasted the coastal SC area pretty damn badly.
Old 08-28-2005, 11:21 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
They have been saying for years everytime a hurricane develops, if a category 5 hurricane ever hits, New Orleans will be in deep trouble, the city is not capable of handling it the way it is built.

This may be the one they have been hoping never came.

[/ QUOTE ]

I figured it was just another case of this at first too. But this time is different. Everyone we know, the people who have never left home before are in Texas, or Arkansas, or just somewhere else that isn't home. My mom has already planned to take her 30-something sick days she has saved up over the years, and go down there after the rain stops to do whatever she can. I'm sure my dad and grandmother are making similar arrangements.

This is going to be ugly. The storm is too big not to have a serious direct hit on NO. It may not be dead-on, right where the eye goes, but it's going to get rocked. The only part of the city that might survive is uptown, because it is far enough away from the lake in all directions, and apparently the river is fairly low right now, which will help minimize the flooding. Of course, the rest of the city is [censored]. If the flooding is as severe as some projections, the pumps the city has built in will be covered in water, and inoperable. It will take months just to get rid of the water, forget about clean water and utilities.

I remember my mom telling me stories about going to Biloxi the day after Camille hit, while she was living in NO. All she can think about is that she'll doing the same thing on a grander scale this time around.
Old 08-28-2005, 11:25 PM

Read this.

I'm not sure when it was written, but it wasn't this morning. There is a significant concern that NO could in fact cease to exist as we know it. There's a disaster scenario that New Orleans and Federal disaster planners have contemplated for some time, called "filling the bowl". NO lies below sea level and below the level of lake Pontchartrain (sp). The concern is that the lake will spill over the levee system and overwhelm the pumping capacity of the city leaving it flooded for as long as months. These flood waters would be filled with raw sewage, chemicals, petroleum, snakes, alligators rats and other nasties; FEMA has predicted that the worst case scenario (hypothetical hurricane, not Katrina specifically) could kill 20k to 100k people.

We won't know until the coming days what the aftermath will hold but there is no question this is one of the largest hurricanes in US history and that it is bearing down on a major city. Those two factors alone are reason for concern, couple that with New Orlean's unique low stature and you have the real potential for historic disaster.

I hope some miracle intervenes, but I've been watching this live feed for awhile and it doesn't look good.

My thoughts are with the people of New Orleans tonight and I pray for their safety.