Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2005, 12:35 PM

Default Re: Bubble: KQ UTG

[ QUOTE ]
Seat 3 is the button
Total number of players : 4
Seat 1: uclabruinz ( $2315 )
Seat 3: stegosaurus0 ( $2900 )
Seat 4: bonobo200 ( $1825 )
Seat 6: hellofarush ( $960 )
Blinds(50/100)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to uclabruinz [ Qh Ks ]
uclabruinz?????

[/ QUOTE ]

I had a very similar situation in a SnG I just finished. I also receives KQo UTG with four players left. I was third in chips (and the two chip leaders were the blinds.) I believe the blinds were 75/150, but I was playing on Pokerstars, so we all had higher chip stacks. Anyway, I know exactly why you would hesitate with this hand. I raised to T400 and was prepared to fold to a reraise from either of the two bigger stacks (but NOT from the short stack, who I had covered by about 1000 chips). To my great relief, everyone folded. I think it helped that I have a pretty tight image at the table.
Old 08-28-2005, 12:38 PM

If shorty pushes what do we do?
Old 08-28-2005, 01:03 PM

that's the easy call.

it's also part of the reason i like raising to like 400 here instead of 300. it makes it less likely that a big stack just makes a raise to make a play and it makes your call (even) more correct against the short stack.

citanul
Old 08-28-2005, 02:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
that's the easy call.

it's also part of the reason i like raising to like 400 here instead of 300. it makes it less likely that a big stack just makes a raise to make a play and it makes your call (even) more correct against the short stack.

citanul

[/ QUOTE ]

Dan? Is that you?

:-P jk citanul
Old 08-28-2005, 04:13 PM

Very good advice, and something I worked out for myself after my first serious downswing. I went down to the local supermarket, saw people packing the bags, and said to myself "do you REALLY want to end up doing that?"

Probably I should have been thinking "OK, maybe I should be thinking of applying my brain somewhere useful and having a proper career", or perhaps "What was I doing thinking cards for a living was a good idea?"

(This was a few years ago, and I have a proper job now)

Anyway, I just stopped playing for a couple of days, and ended up a lot better afterwards. I tend to read books during downswings now (sometimes poker), I always pick something up that I didn't REALLY understand the last time round...
Old 08-28-2005, 05:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dan? Is that you?

:-P jk citanul

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm slightly retarded I suppose, as I didn't get that you were making a joke about the harrington line I almost perfectly cribbed. My name, after all, is Dan. And I spent a lot of time in Lancaster in my youth.

citanul <- tired.