Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2005, 10:39 AM

Default Re: I have a problem

Most of the 'loosers' are just bad 'gambooolers'. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-29-2005, 10:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
... admire a posters sentiments...

[/ QUOTE ]

"posters" is possessive...you forgot the apostrophe...

On another note, I tend to scrutinize grammar and spelling mistakes as well, although I wouldn't call myself a snob about it. The best lesson I ever learned came from my boss. When I was hired on as a programmer, the first email I received was from this man. I had already been programming for over 20 years at the time, and I never had met anyone who was a citizen of the U.S. who could butcher the English language quite as well as he could. His spelling, punctuation, grammar...all were atrocious. Now I had worked with many systems analysts and programmers over the years and had a lot of respect for their abilities. However, this man who butchered our language was by far the best analyst I had ever come across. He couldn't structure a sentence, but he could design a system in minutes in his head faster than I could do so in a month, and his design would only need minor tweaking to boot!

Each of us has his talents. I knew that, but the example above certainly drove the idea home!
Old 08-29-2005, 10:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
...How can one error (probably just a typo) affect my judgement of this persons character so adversely?

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, "persons" is also possessive...another missing apostrophe...tsk, tsk
Old 08-29-2005, 10:49 AM

I feel the same way, but usually not about just one typo or an incorrect spelling. When someone's ability to communicate is poor, it is somewhat disturbing or at best an annoyance to have to deal with that person.

Since this is the psychology board, I'll add that I think it has to do with a feeling or lack thereof of personal connection. For example, I consider myself intelligent, literate, and articulate. Like so, on academic topics, in particular, I enjoy conversing with people who I can be confident will at least understand and be able to communicate ideas on a basic level.

Poor grammar and spelling, although, not always, in my experience, have often indicated weak communication and weak thought to begin with.
Old 08-29-2005, 12:29 PM

You also did not use a question mark at the end of your first sentence.
Old 08-29-2005, 12:42 PM

Lighten up. The question is, are they effectively communicating with you?

Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is that the frist and lsat ltteer is at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe.
Old 08-29-2005, 12:55 PM

helpful link
Old 08-29-2005, 12:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How can one error (probably just a typo) affect my judgement of this persons character so adversely?

[/ QUOTE ]

Where's the possessive apostrophe in "person's?"
Old 08-29-2005, 12:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Lighten up. The question is, are they effectively communicating with you?

Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is that the frist and lsat ltteer is at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ttah's olny ture to a letimed eentnxt, olubivosy.

Seriously, though, the little stuff like "lose/loose" doesn't bother me, but I admit I do judge pretty harshly when someone forgoes all punctuation and capitalization.
Old 08-29-2005, 02:49 PM

I already got him on that, Bodhi...lol

Missing Apostrophe