Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2005, 12:14 PM

Default Re: $109s - AQ Hand

there's basically nothing besides the check call minicheckraise line that screams you're beat more than the line villain has taken here. that said, many players have trouble finding a fold here, even against a bad villain. (that's mostly because against a bad villain you should be seeking to get all your chips in against his Ax one pair hand.) i also kinda like overbet leading the flop kinda. finally, you should have complained when he called for only 60 your bet of 70. that's cheating.

citanul
Old 08-28-2005, 02:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
finally, you should have complained when he called for only 60 your bet of 70. that's cheating.

[/ QUOTE ]

HAHAHAHAHAHA
That's awesome.
I bet 60 there and people come over the top quite often with whatever. I didn't want to get into a flop bet argument so I changed it to 70. Apparently, that isn't enough either. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-28-2005, 12:23 PM

Does anyone actually have a suggestion on the best line here? I think I basically always call here because folding to a miniraise hurts me, but I don't like it. More importantly, I have no idea what to do on the next street. It's really hard to put an obvious donkey on a hand that beats TP2K. For all we know he's got 29--playing the gutshot and caught his 9, which he thought deserved a raise. What line do you guys think is optimal?
Old 08-28-2005, 12:27 PM

"Hero bets t70, Button calls t60."

Button shorted the pot! Report him to security.
[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-28-2005, 01:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Flop: (t115) 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 players)
Hero bets t115.

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't like your bet of t75 on the flop. i like to find out as soon as possible how good my hand is. i'm looking to either win the hand ouright on the flop or if Button calls t115:

[ QUOTE ]
Turn: (t345) 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 players)
Hero bets t759 and is all-in

[/ QUOTE ]

the rest of the hand will be found out on the turn. all-in eliminates an ugly and uncomfortable C/R decision. if you're beaten, you find out now instead of say [folding] and having to wonder if his loose play earlier influenced you into being muscled off the pot.
Old 08-28-2005, 01:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Flop: (t115) 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 players)
Hero bets t115.

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't like your bet of t75 on the flop. i like to find out as soon as possible how good my hand is. i'm looking to either win the hand ouright on the flop or if Button calls t115:

[ QUOTE ]
Turn: (t345) 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 players)
Hero bets t759 and is all-in

[/ QUOTE ]

the rest of the hand will be found out on the turn. all-in eliminates an ugly and uncomfortable C/R decision. if you're beaten, you find out now instead of say [folding] and having to wonder if his loose play earlier influenced you into being muscled off the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

so your strategy is to make a bigger bet to see where you are on the flop, then if he calls your bet, showing strength, to just lead out all in so you'll likely fold out worse hands and be called by better ones? nice job!

what kind of uncomfortabel C/R decision can you be faced with when you can't be checkraised? hero acts first.

"if you're beaten you find out now" is not a great line when the way you find out now is because your opponent calls and busts you.

yours is tragically bad reasoning.

citanul
Old 08-28-2005, 02:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what kind of uncomfortabel C/R decision can you be faced with when you can't be checkraised? hero acts first.

[/ QUOTE ]

i apologize. i meant uncomfortable reraise[s] on the turn. explain the problem with my alternative line and it's tragic reasoning.
Old 08-28-2005, 02:16 PM

the problem with your reasoning is that you said you wanted to lead large to find out where you are, and then when called (which shows strength often) you wanted to lead all in on the turn. what circumstance were you going to be able to get away from your hand? i'm not necessarilly saying that you should be able to get away from this hand easily, but if your reasoning was that leading large would allow you to find out where you are, you have to have a route for this.

also, leading all in on the turn yes, gets it so that you don't have any hard decisions from that point forward, but it does so because it just hands your stack to anyone who has you beat. eliminating hard decisions is one thing, doing it in a way that eliminates thought entirely is another.

citanul
Old 08-28-2005, 02:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the problem with your reasoning is that you said you wanted to lead large to find out where you are, and then when called (which shows strength often) you wanted to lead all in on the turn. what circumstance were you going to be able to get away from your hand? i'm not necessarilly saying that you should be able to get away from this hand easily, but if your reasoning was that leading large would allow you to find out where you are, you have to have a route for this.

also, leading all in on the turn yes, gets it so that you don't have any hard decisions from that point forward, but it does so because it just hands your stack to anyone who has you beat. eliminating hard decisions is one thing, doing it in a way that eliminates thought entirely is another.

citanul

[/ QUOTE ]

and your turn move?
Old 08-28-2005, 03:18 PM

Keep the pot under control on the Turn - you're way ahead or way behind, but it's going to be hard to stay in if he makes a play at you on the Turn (which sucks, b/c he may do this with a worse Ace and it's hard to give a loose/reckless player credit for a better hand even though they'll have it a fair % of the time). Also if you check the Turn, he may bet a hand he wouldn't have called you with (that has very few outs and that you don't mind seeing one more card). Or, he may check behind but call a River bet/bet the River when checked to with a hand he would have folded to your Turn bet.

If he raised with T9o, in the spot you're in, I'd probably begrudgingly call the raise and call the River bet or come back over the top. I'm not folding to this type of player with the # of chips in the pot at this point - but, I don't like having to go to war here and would prefer playing more protection in Level 1 here.