Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2005, 08:48 AM

Default Re: Good TT hand to discuss

[ QUOTE ]

Our read is that it will not get checked around

[/ QUOTE ]

Just because the Button will open-bet many flops with position doesn't mean he will do this against a pre-flop raiser from the blinds who then checks the flop.
Old 08-27-2005, 10:48 AM

In my opinion, this play is as good as your read on the button.
Old 08-27-2005, 12:01 PM

Jus to be clear, this play was made with complete (100%) certainty that the BTN will bet if checked to. Several hands in a row, many with no pair, no piece, he bets when checked to on EVERY street, always. He doesn't raise much, but never checks. Another strong read I had was that the passive players involved weren't betting pieces but only strong holds, so that helped. If I felt it could get checked through I'm definitely betting.

The real question is whether in the long run receiving extra bets from the 2 loose passive players I cleared will be more profitable than getting rid of them on the flop. I tend to go for the quicker kill, and I think in this hand, my hand is good now but vulnerable enough to rid myself of them for better long term profitability.

M
Old 08-27-2005, 12:23 PM

I think that you have to bet here to see where you are at. The flop only has one overcard. If you're up against JJ, you can call knowing that you have to catch a 10 on the turn to continue. If you get a flat call, you may be up against a straight draw. If you check, you will be hard prssed to guess the strength of your opponent's hand.
Old 08-27-2005, 12:33 PM

Again, betting out doesn't necessarily tell me where I'm at. A pair of J's in the hands of one of the two LP players after me will probably just call down, as they have seen me raise a lot with a good run of cards and would fear AJ, AA-QQ. They will also just call with OESD, small piece, overcard and gutshot, 2 overs, pp, etc. When I c/r:

1. I get to see if one of them bets, which if it occurred means a J or better and I can actually lay down.

2. If checked to the lag who bets, I can raise, protecting my vulnerable hand.

3. If one of the passive players (or both) cc the c/r, I know they have either OESD or J or better, thus reducing their hand range possibility.

I am in a situation where betting out has me in a RIO situation, as I have terrible position. I have plenty of equity in terrible position. Betting out isn't bad; in fact, it's my standard play as well as probably everyone here. I'm just wondering if c/r this particular lag would improve my long term equity.
Old 08-27-2005, 12:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just because the Button will open-bet many flops with position doesn't mean he will do this against a pre-flop raiser from the blinds who then checks the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

And for this reason, you must bet the flop.

If the button is aggressive, he may raise you and you get to 3-bet him. This will protect your hand as well as a check-raise, but without the risk of this getting checked through. That would be a catastrophe with all the overcards which could hit on the turn.
Old 08-27-2005, 02:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And for this reason, you must bet the flop.

If the button is aggressive, he may raise you and you get to 3-bet him. This will protect your hand as well as a check-raise, but without the risk of this getting checked through. That would be a catastrophe with all the overcards which could hit on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Button is loose-passive preflop and aggressive post flop--he'll bet any 2 if checked to on any street.

[/ QUOTE ]

OP's read is that this would be an anomaly. I'm in the business of responding based on OP's provided information.

Standard play is to bet here w/o reads and against non-LAGs that don't bet every street when checked to.

IMO not making adjustments like this will cost us in the long run. If someone can show how leading this flop against this field protects our hand better than OP's line, by all means, do so.
Old 08-27-2005, 07:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm in the business of responding based on OP's provided information.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's nice. I'm happy for you. Save your scolding for your kids and/or pets. I'm not interested in hearing it.