Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2005, 02:10 PM

Default Re: this one felt right? was it? QTo bb against preflop poster

[ QUOTE ]
If it was rock of gibraltar UTG raise, sure.

[/ QUOTE ]
Great phrase - I used to use "rock of gibraltar" all the time and then I thought I misremembered because I knew there was a straight of Gibraltar and maybe I mistakenly inserted the rock. But I just googled it and of course there's a rock of gibraltar. I think I'll start using it again with deference to you.

As to Q10o, I think either folding or calling preflop is pretty close to break-even.
Old 08-25-2005, 02:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's usually insane not to fold on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah I think I agree mike. These sorts of plays don't seem to inately illicit helpful responses. It depends on your image at the time. For instance, it might be helpful for you to add "I've check-raise bluffed 3 times in the last 20 minutes previous to this hand" or "I've only shown down monsters and people are starting to not pay me off"

In isolation, this flop play is just dumb online.

Hey Rick, I figured you weren't in your 20's but is that a self-portrait? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-25-2005, 02:23 PM

"For instance, it might be helpful for you to add "I've check-raise bluffed 3 times in the last 20 minutes previous to this hand" or "I've only shown down monsters and people are starting to not pay me off""

ok here does this help:

"it's online so no one is paying any attention anyway. theyre all watching price is right or jerking it or surfing oot."
Old 08-25-2005, 02:37 PM

I agree with most that the flop is bad if done frequently. I do not mind making a play now and then though so.....whatever.

River is good. I probably would not three bet this turn, but I understand the play. I would be nervous about a better 10 here or overpair. 2 bets on the turn seems right, then maybe donk bet a non club river.

So I would be a little less aggressive on the turn, which I find funny since my post flop aggression numbers have been referenced on this board as very aggressive.
Old 08-25-2005, 02:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

So I would be a little less aggressive on the turn, which I find funny since my post flop aggression numbers have been referenced on this board as very aggressive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny weird or funny ha ha?
Old 08-25-2005, 02:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny weird or funny ha ha?

[/ QUOTE ]

The former I suppose.
Old 08-25-2005, 02:46 PM

It looks like the perfect situation to use this flop play.
You want to clean up outs and since u r BB you can easily hold a suited 6 or 7 together with ace or as a sc.

Opponent is probably on overcards and can be moved off the pot.
I'd not 3 bet turn though after his raise.
I really want to see a showdown so a cap would be real bad.
If he puts you on a steal he might try to resteal with overs so I want a showdown that is not too costly.
I'd donk river.
Old 08-25-2005, 03:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I figured you weren't in your 20's but is that a self-portrait? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, although I used to have a picture up on Dick in Phoenix's web site cut from Mike Caro's Tells video tapes. I was in two or three scenes, done about ten years ago. It used to appear on Google, but doesn't anymore.

Anyway, I'm 51 and most people think I look a bit younger. That said, I'n starting to think people in their 50's or older now make up only about 1% of this forum.

The avatar is Confererate General James Longstreet. I'm a Yankee but after reading a lot of Civil War material in the last few years I've come to like Longstreet. He was the first general who understood the value of good defense (look up Frederickburg) with the new long range rifles and one who avoided senseless slaughter of his men in other battles. He got a bad rap at Gettysburg (my understanding is he opposed Pickett's charge).
Old 08-25-2005, 03:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ok here does this help:

"it's online so no one is paying any attention anyway. theyre all watching price is right or jerking it or surfing oot."

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not saying it's dumb. I'm saying in isolation it's dumb.

You're smart so you can adjust to your image if your hand gets shown down. Others don't adjust. Making your opponents more difficult to beat is not wise. On average on any given hand, you won't make a hand-- and if you increase your opponents calling frequency then they're harder to beat. If you don't play against these Bob Barkers very often or you if think they don't keep stats on you well then cheers. Because you may not lose enough EV for the rest of the session to offset the pot you win - but that's only if you win the pot.
Old 08-25-2005, 03:06 PM

i like the flop cr and i do it routinely in blind defense situations. mebbe is a bad plays and i do suck in the blinds. it seems good bc the pf raiser does not have to have a hand and usually doesnt and it lets him know that are gonna be cr his continuation bets.

i would call down on the turn tho.