Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2005, 02:51 PM

Default Re: Just how big do the swings get?

$100 is not my bankroll, I can add more anytime I want. $100 is just what I decided to deposit.
Old 08-25-2005, 03:03 PM

Why do you all equate the amount of a deposit with the amount of someone's bankroll? Hey it takes like 30 seconds to add funds with neteller, so let's forget about my bankroll and answer my question.

does a 450 BB swing over 5,800 hands seem excessive? 225 BB up and then 224 BB back down.
Old 08-25-2005, 03:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why do you all equate the amount of a deposit with the amount of someone's bankroll? Hey it takes like 30 seconds to add funds with neteller, so let's forget about my bankroll and answer my question.

does a 450 BB swing over 5,800 hands seem excessive? 225 BB up and then 224 BB back down.

[/ QUOTE ]
I answered your question. Yes, it's excessive. You most likely still have things to improve in your game. You're still too loose, and you're probably making mistakes postflop.
Old 08-25-2005, 03:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
does a 450 BB swing over 5,800 hands seem excessive?

[/ QUOTE ]

It feels like it's on the outer edge of normal, but of course the data does not exist to describe the curve.

Sounds like you're an experienced player, but let's not forget that losing players don't have downswings. So, I'm not really sure what you are after with your question.
Old 08-25-2005, 03:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You're still way too loose, and you're clearly making mistakes postflop.

[/ QUOTE ]
FYP
Old 08-25-2005, 03:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Two weeks ago, I deposit $100 at Party Poker. Last week I ran my $100 up to $1,093. this week I rode it back down to $105.14. Up almost a grand in a week and back down to almost even the next week.

Party 2-4 Bad Beat Jackpot tables 5,865 hands.

During these two weeks, I brought my VPIP down from 30% to 21% and I am getting tighter. I played tighter preflop than I ever have in my life.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
$100 is not my bankroll, I can add more anytime I want. $100 is just what I decided to deposit.

[/ QUOTE ]

The phrasing of your original post is what lead everyone to assume your bankroll was $100. I also deposited $100 this week for a bonus. I'm up $400, but I wouldn't say I deposited $100 and am up $400. I would say I deposited $100 (25bb) onto my 200bb roll, and am up $400. I know, I have been running extremely hot.

I am awaiting the downswing. I know its coming, and your post is only making me more aware. Here is to hoping I can maintain a winning rate.
Old 08-25-2005, 03:20 PM

Steamboatin,

I know you have been around on these forums for a while, but you still seem to be playing somewhat poorly.

I'm just curious. I'm not trying to pick on you.

Which 2+2 books have you read and how many times have you read them?

Also, what is your pre-flop raise %?

If I were you, I would also look closely at the position stats tab in pokertracker. My guess is that a big part of your problems comes from playing hands out of position.

Before internet poker took off, I used to play live games and did pretty well. It wasn't until I started playing online that I realized that I was playing way too loose and not aggressive enough. Its easy to fall into that trap even if you have studied the game.
Old 08-25-2005, 03:26 PM

Ok, I'll be the alternate view:
1) $100 is enough to play a session at a 2/4 table. Personally, I never have 300bb at any given site at any given time and I'm pretty heavily over-bankrolled overall.

2) At 2/4 BBJ tables, you should probably be in the low/middle 20s for VPIP. You will play a lot of speculative hands because there's 6 limpers before you act.

3) Because you're playing more speculative hands and the pots are big on average, your swings will be bigger. I do not think a 400BB swing is out of the question.

4) Just a strategy comment: At 2/4 BBJ tables you are going to make your money building and winning big pots when you have the goods. Bluffs are not often successful. You will also be drawing more because of the pot odds you're often being offered. This means your PFA numbers will be lower than many people on this board recommend for the tables they play at.
Old 08-25-2005, 03:29 PM

A 225 BB swing is large but not all that unusual. I have alot of individual sessions that involve swinging up or down 75BB and reverting to a win/loss (depending on the direction of the swing). Are you using pokertracker? What is your Standard Deviation? Are you getting any rakeback/bonuswhoring? My downward swings have been reduced quite a bit by always playing with a bonus.

For the people telling you to tighten up, I don't think a VPIP of 21% is all that loose, as long as you are playing the right mix (ie, looser in stealing situations).

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-25-2005, 03:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For the people telling you to tighten up, I don't think a VPIP of 21% is all that loose, as long as you are playing the right mix (ie, looser in stealing situations).

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, I know I am nowhere near as good as some on these boards and play at around a 19 I think. Don't have PT in front of me. But I am playing winning, maybe not as winning as some, but winning. I am working on it.