Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2005, 12:07 PM

Default Re: AK hand with all in reraise back

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'd reraise to 600 rather than 400 and really put some pressure on him.

I would think he doesn't have AA or KK since he shoved his chips all in. I call with my AK expecting to see 99-QQ from villain.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly, villian would want to see the flop with a hand he knows probably has you beat. He doesnt want you folding to his push.

It's possible that villian has AA/KK...but you can't see monsters under teh bed in tourneys. This is one of those times you will have to play AK for all your chips. Folding to his push not only makes you look weak tight, but you're already committed. You threw in 1/4 your stack and then fold? Bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. Hes put in too much money to fold now. Not to mention his image will be shot if he folds this, and will continue to have to make tough calls. I expect him to flip up A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], outdraw you with a royal flush on the river, and thats why you posted this.
Old 08-25-2005, 12:38 PM

Raise more. When you just double his raise he is gettting 3:1 on the call. He's a big stack and I think there's not a chance in hell he mucks there with any hand that he raised with.

I'd either reraise to 600 or (if he's the type that would pay you off on the flop) call and push the flop if you hit.

OK, given that you doubled his raise and he pushed, I would call. You're getting 3:2 on the call and even if his push range is as tight as AK/99+, your 41% equity is enough to call. Especially if his range might include other worse hands like AQ (which I think is a distinct possibility with this guy), then you REALLY need to call.

It sucks that you'll be facing a coinflip a lot here, but I hope it worked out.

Kings
Old 08-25-2005, 01:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

But it is possible that this person did wake up with AA, KK or any other pair, in which case you are behind, albeit you might be just a small dog to a very large dog, is there really a need to push your chips here in this situation with your remaining stack size?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you fold, you'll be short stack at the table. This is exactly the position you're happy to take a shot against. You're getting much better than even money at a hand that is most likely no worse than a coinflip. There is probably a better chance you are dominating than dominated by AA or KK.

Would you rather fold, be short stack, the blinds go up and two rounds later you're forced to push with 88 or AJ just to double through to what you had before you raised this hand?
Old 08-25-2005, 01:58 PM

What buyin? The lower the buyin the more I want to call.

However, I agree with everyone else. I don't like the minireraise and AK is a bad hand to do it with.

If villain does have 97s, the last thing you want is for him to see a flop cheaply against AKo. 97s is a slight dog against AKo, but you can make bigger hands with 97s.

I call the push.
Old 08-26-2005, 05:50 PM

I fail to see the logic in "this is one of those times you have to play AK for all your chips." WHY?

What makes this situation such that you have to put it all on the line? And if this is one of those than aren't you really saying that you have to push all your chips in with AK every time you have it.

I think there are many, many times when it is not necessary to go all in just because you have AK.

I had not played a bunch of pots at this table, and if I showed anything down, it was a good hand, not some flier. This guy went all in to my 2X reraise which was significant compared to the blinds, but I agree that it could be more to put max pressure on them, but what then when they come over the top?

I see a lot of talk to justify that you just have to play this no matter what. By laying this down I would still be in a position to continue on and do damage in this tournament.

In the big picture, I found this hand interesting, but in the final analysis because I let it go, it had no bearing on the ultimate outcome, which was winning a seat to the next tourney.

Yes, maybe I could have doubled up off this guy, but even if he had a pair of 22s I could have lost without hitting, which happens quite frequently with AK.
Old 08-26-2005, 05:52 PM

A stack of 1500 with blinds at 50 is hardly a shortstack. That leaves me with 30BBs, plenty of stack to be successful.
Old 08-26-2005, 05:53 PM

you misplayed the hand so just call
Old 08-26-2005, 05:54 PM

How do you call an 4BB reraise a min raise? it ended up being an 8BB raise preflop. A min raise would be if I raised to 50 to 250.
Old 08-26-2005, 05:56 PM

you miniraised
Old 08-27-2005, 02:26 PM

so because I didn't raise enough I should just call off my stack and end the tournament? What kind of logic is that?

If anything it is a clear fold, because "I misplayed the hand".
Why compound the problem? If you make a mistake playing a hand, which I am assuming there has been one or two for you, and you recognize it, then fold the hand and move on.

How many times have you checked a hand hoping to check raise someone with a "good" hand only to have them go wild and bet an amount that is too much for you to call with your hand? Do you then just call off your stack, because you made a mistake, or do you fold and move on.

I fold and move on. Calling will not correct the percieved misplay, and it could end your tournament right there when they turn over their AA-JJ or any pair for that matter.

I could be 3 to 2 dog against any pair, or 2 to 1 dog to AA-JJ. There are many other places where I can get my money in where I am the favorite and not a dog. I will take my chances with those situations, not this one here.