Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2005, 02:51 PM

Default Re: What should I double major in?

For law school, the best thing you can major in is science. Physics, biology, chemistry, any kind of engineering; it doesn't matter. Math is also fine, but is pretty useless if you don't get into law school. You are truly misguided if you think engineering is useless for this endeavor. Forget the double major and just do one that shows you can reason analytically. If you want to take psych classes, fine. Do it because there's hot chicks, not because it'll serve you better for the LSAT.
Old 08-24-2005, 03:16 PM

English and its not even close. Nor is it useless. If you want to be a good writer, it will help you so much. Plus all the lit will expand your worldview.
Old 08-24-2005, 03:19 PM

What's your rationale for saying science is better than poli sci or english? If he wants to do IP law, fine, science will help a lot, but you learn stuff in poli sci/english that will help you no matter what type of law you want to pursue.
Old 08-24-2005, 03:25 PM

I personally think something in Engineering, any disclipine would be the best in the long run. But I wonder if you even have a chance of getting into the program at this point. In the program I went through the first two years were packed with prereqs like Calc, programming, systems, more and more math and science. And all that was stacked in such a way that if you didn't pretty much nail it first time it could cost you a whole year toward the program entrance. There were exceptions, but basically if you screwed up calc II for instance you had to wait for it again and that meant you missed the window for calc III. Just an example.

I guess my point is that it might not be possible to catch up at this point unless you already took that first year stuff.
Old 08-24-2005, 03:26 PM

Accounting if you want to be a tax attorney, and Political Science or History.
Old 08-24-2005, 03:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
School: Canisius College in Buffalo, New York; I'm a sophomore
Current Major: Criminal Justice
Post-Grad Plans: Good Law School

Why do I need a double major?
Quite simply, options.

What's most +EV?
Business or Finance and it isn't even close. This also happens to be my two least favorite things in the world.

What's easiest?
Probably History (useless) or Communications (not so useless)

What's hardest?
Biology, Chemistry, Biochemistry, etc.

What's useless?
English, Modern Language (I'm bilingual, Russian being my birth language), aforementioned History, Engineering

So there you have it. What did you major in? Was it easy? Is it useful? Do you recommend me even trying for a double major? Other random thoughts?

Here's a picture of Josie Maran for your troubles:

[/ QUOTE ]

I was a double major in microbiology and virology and I do not think these classes (as biology or chemistry) will help you if you are trying to get into law school.
Old 08-24-2005, 03:33 PM

Many people can count on an engineering degree taking 5 years. It seems like just as many, if not more, take 5 years as do 4. That said, I did it in 3.5 without much difficulty or summer school and I think you can probably do it in about the same time if you can double-count some of the classes you've already taken. Engineering students do actually have to take some BS english/writing, language, history, etc. classes that you've probably got to take anyway. Of course, these timelines are only if you're focusing only on the engineering degree and you'll have a whole 'nother degree program that won't overlap much with your engineering curriculum. Also, it's definitely not for those who aren't at least somewhat mathematically and scientifically inclined.
Old 08-24-2005, 03:35 PM

Why do you think engineering is "useless" and bioligy is "hardest"?
Old 08-24-2005, 03:35 PM

im a junior at wake forest and am an political science and psychology double major and im just like you in that i KNOW im going to a good law school, using poker to pay my way through.

yea i know poli sci is so generic when going to law school,but i actually like it and stuff. and psychology has a lot of chick in the classes
Old 08-24-2005, 03:36 PM

Spanish, Arabic, or French