Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2005, 05:16 PM

Default Re: Possible cheating (long-ish) please help (crossposted in home poke

Yes, assault charges and jail time are always something to shoot for.
Old 08-24-2005, 05:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Him handling discards that way screams 'cheat'.

I used to cheat at penny poker and blackjack as a boy, and that along with careful protection of bottom cards during shuffle and bottom dealing was how I won [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

And you're PROUD of this, [censored]?
Old 08-24-2005, 05:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In friendly games, very few people pay close attention to this kind of thing. I've seen it many a time.

[/ QUOTE ]
Don't you think it would be nice to teach people a safer way, so they don't get screwed over like the OP's group?
Old 08-24-2005, 05:32 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
after this, I notice someting about my roommate's shuffling. he always has the cards under the table. he is not shuffling, but putting some of the discards towards the back half of the deck. additionally, he is often holding the deck at a sideways angle in his lap, and then "playing" with the deck, but in such a way that he can see the cards of the deck. occasionally, i've seen him start switching cards in the deck during a hand. also, this is the way he shuffles during every hand he is dealing. when we play at my own house heads up, he shuffles apparently normally. i have not said anything to him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uhhh...

Seriously, how has nobody told him to keep the cards on the table?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep. Pretty simple. Cards are in view at all times. How could you not say anything? After the first time, you only have yourself to blame for being cheated if you actually are being cheated.

[ QUOTE ]
My roommate is smart, plays out of my accounts,

[/ QUOTE ]

He is smart. He isn't playing with his own money online and the group he plays with live lets him take the deck out of sight without anyone saying anything.

I would never let anyone play out of my account for real money.

b
Old 08-24-2005, 08:34 PM

Default Re: Possible cheating (long-ish) please help (crossposted in home poker)

I have to agree with bernie here. You shouldn't let him handle your account. First of all, it could cause difficult money issues between him and yourself, trying to figure out what is what and whos is whos. Me and my boyfriend did this for a while and it became very confusing. Before it got out of control, I simply insisted on him getting his own account. Since you're leaving, just remember this for the future.

Secondly, if you think he's cheating, tell him to shuffle on the table. My friends always look at each others shuffling in our home games. Under the table shuffling would have gone on for about .2 seconds before someone said something. He seems very interested, more than a normal shuffler, to have the cards a certain way, and that's called cheating. Slap him and steal his money before you leave.
Old 08-24-2005, 10:56 PM

Default Re: Possible cheating (long-ish) please help (crossposted in home poker)

It seems pretty obvious to me that he is cheating, remember Ed Norton in rounders and how they shot it: He delt slow slow that the viewer could see it.

A true mechanic is bold, and will shuffle the cards right in front of you. It seems that this guy might have read the first ten pages of "Expert at the Card Table," and forgot that people are "usually" more sophisticated that this.

Always sit to right of this guy, and force him to shuffle in front of you. When you cut, cut very low, or very high, and vary it a little bit. Also, if this guy practices, he might try some moves right in front of you. But you must hear the seconds bieng delt, and if he cuts off his middle finger, well, tell him to never be in your game again.

Honestly, it seems so hard to believe that he is cheating because a five- year- old could come up with more sophsticated techniques than this, but as they say: the best place to hide something is in plain view.
Old 08-25-2005, 01:54 AM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

[ QUOTE ]
I have to agree with bernie here. You shouldn't let him handle your account. First of all, it could cause difficult money issues between him and yourself, trying to figure out what is what and whos is whos. Me and my boyfriend did this for a while and it became very confusing. Before it got out of control, I simply insisted on him getting his own account. Since you're leaving, just remember this for the future.

[/ QUOTE ]

I should've mentioned that this has nothing to do with his latest habit of shuffling. I wouldn't do this with someone who I know for a fact is on the up and up. As noted above, too many problems can surface when real money is between friends in this type of situation/game.

If he's ready for real money, he's ready for his own account.

b
Old 08-25-2005, 05:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Him handling discards that way screams 'cheat'.

I used to cheat at penny poker and blackjack as a boy, and that along with careful protection of bottom cards during shuffle and bottom dealing was how I won [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

And you're PROUD of this, [censored]?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no feelings about it one way or the other, other than I wouldn't ever dream of cheating at cards now I'm all growed up.
Old 08-25-2005, 08:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
occasionally, i've seen him start switching cards in the deck during a hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

No one has said anything about this? Also, no one asks for a cut in this game ever?

Maybe you should play the home game one more time and try to establish cutting as something typical and socially acceptable.
Old 08-25-2005, 08:58 AM

Okay then