Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2005, 04:24 PM

Default Re: 99 hand, didn\'t know what to do!

Sorry for the confusion, looking back at the HH I realize that Zeb raise putting me all-in, but was not all in himself. So, when I said first all-in, I'm was incorrectly referring to Zeb's raise.
Old 08-23-2005, 04:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The awkward stack size, imho, moves this to a push. If hero had more chips, I'd like the limp better.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pushing 99 UTG into 7 other players to win 75 chips when your stack size is 13BB? I don't think so.
Old 08-23-2005, 04:36 PM

Thanks for all the input.

As soon as a made the raise, even before ZEB's raise I told myself I should have folded.

Now, after reading these posts, I think limping was aslo a viable option. But, as someone else pointed out, I do not like limping with my stack size where it is. Usually, at this point, I'm pushing or folding. The set will only hit about 12% and for the most part I would be just throwing t50 away.

So, I guess in the future some times I'll limp, other times I will fold...depending on my mood and the how the table is behaving.
Old 08-23-2005, 04:46 PM

At a near full table, in early position, when you can't 'afford' to limp, and it isn't appropriate to open-push, there is no shame in folding.

I'm not advocating you fold 99 here, but similar 'sticky' situations are posted regularly regarding 33-66, A-something, whatever. I have no problem folding when I'm in this window of questionable opportunity.

As your starting hand strength creeps to the outer limits of a hand 'fold worthy', keep in mind that there are 'best hand I've seen in a while' hands, where folding is simply the correct play.
Old 08-23-2005, 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The awkward stack size, imho, moves this to a push. If hero had more chips, I'd like the limp better.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pushing 99 UTG into 7 other players to win 75 chips when your stack size is 13BB? I don't think so.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it is partly dependent on how soon the blinds are moving up to 50/100. Would you push 99 into 7 other players with 650 chips and 50/100 blinds? If the blinds go up in 2 hands, now do you push?

Hero has an awkward stack size. Not so big that I like limping much and not so small that I think pushing is mandatory. But, I like push and fold better than limp.