Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2005, 04:41 PM

Default Re: Celebirty Poker Showdown -Reality Stars episode

I too was shocked at the level of play not to mention the annoying wanna be "cool guy" who calls himself Johnny Fairplay. Is he kidding? At one point some guy in the audience yells "keep winning, it shuts Johnny up". Johnny responds with something to the extent of, "I just finished with your boyfriend". The guy from the audience than says "GET A NEW LINE'. I thought that was classic.
Also, did anybody notice that there was not a SINGLE pre-flop raise? I thought to myself halfway through the episode that I haven't seen a raise pre-flop. I watched the episode again (gotta love TiVo) and confirmed that there wasn't ANY raise pre-flop.
Also, that chick from the Real World has an amazing rack.
Old 08-23-2005, 06:04 PM

I don't understand that Johnny dude. Is he for real? Or is that some persona he has invented for himself? I don't watch Survivor so I Googled him and apparently he shows up on TNA sometimes (low budget wrestling federation). He left me confused as to whether or not he was serious.
Old 08-23-2005, 06:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't understand that Johnny dude. Is he for real? Or is that some persona he has invented for himself? I don't watch Survivor so I Googled him and apparently he shows up on TNA sometimes (low budget wrestling federation). He left me confused as to whether or not he was serious.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is a persona, but there is probably some seriousness to it as well.

Johnny Fairplay was one of the greatest Survivor characters, if not the greatest. You spend most of your time laughing at him rather than with him, but I don't think he cares.

He is also on some other reality show called "Kill Reality", but I've only seen a few minutes of it.
Old 08-23-2005, 07:03 PM

I wonder if this is the episode that Phil referred to in his podcasts from the WSOP. He has to leave the wsop to tape commentary, so he gives you an inside view of that. Afterwards, both he and Dave say "don't watch this show, it was horrible."
Old 08-24-2005, 09:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Also, that chick from the Real World has an amazing rack.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you! I can't believe I had to read this far into thread before someone mentioning her.
Old 08-24-2005, 12:43 PM

I was thinking the same thing about the play of that show, just plain awful. They need to take these celebs through some basic poker class first, I don't think some of them knew what a straight or flush was and how to do anything but call preflop.

Johny Fairplay, is mainly an act. On Survivor he had planned for a friend to come on the show (if that happened) to have his friend tell him that his Grandmother had passed away. And now he is as stated part of TNA wrestling so I think he was 'in character' for the taping.

Could you image what that show would have been like with wpt or WSOP announcers??
Old 08-24-2005, 02:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Could you imag[in]e what that show would have been like with wpt or WSOP announcers??

[/ QUOTE ]
"Poker Royale: Celebrities vs. Comedians"?
Old 08-24-2005, 05:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Could you image what that show would have been like with wpt or WSOP announcers??

[/ QUOTE ]

I have an idea how it may have been if it had WSOP and WPT announcers.

WPT:
[Mike and Vince see Trishelle fold two pair]

Vince: Uh, did that Real World chick throw away two pair?

Mike: Sadly, she did, Mike. And I must say that I have not seen such a series of bad plays in one game.

[Moments later, Mike and Vince see Charla fold the nuts]

Mike: [disgusted as a poker pro] The short one plays better than you, Vince.

Vince: Shut Up.

WSOP:
Norman Chad: Trishelle, Charla and Johnny must be the best players I have seen all year. I expect them to take the first, second, and third in next year's Main Event.
Old 08-24-2005, 05:51 PM

i was at the palms the day they were taping this episode, and had a ticket for it... i ended up skipping out on it and leaving after i hit up a big pot at the 2/5 nl table. same day that phil gordon walked right by me and totally ignored me.... ahhh good times.
Old 08-24-2005, 05:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was at the episode taping at the Palms that day. Foley was in rare form. You can't believe the junk he was throwing at Johnny Fairplay. Going off on his mother and all. We were on the floor laughing. They cut most of it out due to the X rated nature of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

heh, i just posted on the end of this thread. im pretty sure i was there the same day as you ... did you play in the poker room that day? i was on one of the 2/5 nl $500 buy in tables.