Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2005, 08:46 PM

Default Re: WHAT IS UP WITH THE DONK BETTING?

I'll add one observation. At stars 3/6, I found that the donk bet usually meant strength; but at party 5/10, I'm finding that the donk bet just as often means a missed draw, or an outright bluff.

Is there any identifable pattern to donk bets at higher limits?
Old 08-22-2005, 08:52 PM

More donk-bets because more people are reading poker literature that RECOMMENDS donk bets. A lot of poker literature recommends this & thus it gets done incorrectly a lot SH because of the wrong applications. Donk betting is a lot more effective in NL & full games from my experiences. Donk betting is also better in live play than online.
Old 08-22-2005, 08:53 PM

Online donkbets are very reliable. Usually done by older tighter unimaginitive players that typically mean "FOLD cuz I got the nuts". I love it, saves me bets.
Old 08-22-2005, 08:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Online donkbets are very reliable. Usually done by older tighter unimaginitive players that typically mean "FOLD cuz I got the nuts". I love it, saves me bets.

[/ QUOTE ]

What about when he donks into you and you fold and he shows down J high and the other guy has A high and your 66 is good [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 08-22-2005, 09:06 PM

More donk-bets because more people are reading poker literature that RECOMMENDS donk bets.

Like what?
Old 08-22-2005, 09:11 PM

Be extremely thankful, that is great information. NOte it and start raising the crap out of this guy. They are typically passive people anyway, after a few raises he will just be checking.
Old 08-22-2005, 09:17 PM

just raise em if you have a mid pair good kicker (or better). You have position so depending on the texture and river and opponent you can choose to value bet.

donk bets on the turn are more indicative of hands not wanting to give free cards than really strong hands like sets.
Old 08-22-2005, 09:24 PM

Super System is considered by many the poker Bible & recommends donk betting. What it doesn't recommend is online limit play donk betting vs. better players at low, limit games. Other literature recommends this as well, but I'm not going to search a dozen books to find which do & which don't. Donk bets have their place even at a low, limit game. I personally think most people who donk bet don't understand how or where to use it correctly.
Old 08-22-2005, 09:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
More donk-bets because more people are reading poker literature that RECOMMENDS donk bets.

Like what?

[/ QUOTE ]

HPFAP says one should resist the inclination to check to the preflop raiser. they say it in the context of check-calling, but I can see where you would want to balance your strategy, especially if people are gonna start auto raising the donk bets.
Old 08-22-2005, 09:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Like what?

[/ QUOTE ]

HPFAP says one should resist the inclination to check to the preflop raiser. they say it in the context of check-calling, but I can see where you would want to balance your strategy, especially if people are gonna start auto raising the donk bets.

[/ QUOTE ]

But I'm sure this section is not addresing short-handed play, where check/raising seems much more important.