Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2005, 06:28 PM

Default Re: 20/40 Laydown AKs preflop?

Definitely call. I'd call AKo here as well. The 5/3 is likely to be on AA-JJ(maybe), AK, but you have enough equity, esp with your suitedness, that it's an easy call in this situation. If the capper was a great player, then you could consider mucking, but I still probably wouldn't.
Old 08-22-2005, 06:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd insta-muck AK off here, but i would play AKs for the reasons that Barron has already elaborated on. Don't forgot about reverse implied odds here, it's hard to fold if you pair up on the flop, but AA, KK will be out there quite a bit here. You'll also have odds to peel for 1 bet assuming you against QQ and JJ, but you could be stone cold dead to runners after the flop for all you know.

Gabe

[/ QUOTE ]

Gabe,

I don't think you peel here. It's unlikely a 5/3 3 bets JJ, maybe even QQ they cold call. That, and combined with the other player in the hand, I think you just have to fold if you miss with no flush or straight possibilities.
Old 08-23-2005, 12:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]

on sample size. 300hands is PLENTY for vpip and pfr to converge.

[/ QUOTE ]

May I ask how this is so? Just wondering what assumptions you're making to be confident about this. Thanks.
Old 08-23-2005, 12:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

on sample size. 300hands is PLENTY for vpip and pfr to converge.

[/ QUOTE ]

May I ask how this is so? Just wondering what assumptions you're making to be confident about this. Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

the convergance of pfr and vpip is very fast. 40-50 hands is usually enough for an actable upon read of these stats.

if you ask why again then let me preempt you. assume players 1-10 have never seen each other at a table. player 1 plays 0 hands this orbit and checks his blind. check folding. player 2 raises twice gets cold called. player 3 cold calls once limps 3 times....etc... basically you get the idea that you can get a good idea of the playing style of a player from virtually 1 orbit. if you watch 4 orbits you'd see who is playing 10% of their hands vs. 40%. 300hands is overkill...thats like watching somebody live for 30 orbits. or sitting there for about 10 hours at 30hands/hr

-Barron