Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2005, 09:58 AM

Default Re: JTo 100-200 river bluff raise

Unfortunately the guy who donks this river with a PP or some unusual hand with a 9 or 5 also doesn't fold when raised. That's my feeling on the hand, unless I've seen him bet and fold to a raise on the river before I can't see this play working 1 in 5.
Old 08-22-2005, 10:39 AM

I don't agree. I think the point of the donkbet is "I'm going to pay a bet anyway, might as well bet since I have SOMEthing." But then when they're raised these players are forced to stop and think, which is usually a mistake when they do it.

I'd say this bluff is definitely +EV. But I think it'd maybe be better after a turn check, when the donkbet could itself be a pure bluff.

I say Mike takes it down 35% of the time.

Also, if he hadn't bet the turn, he could be relatively content to fold. Checking the turn gives him more good options on the river, depending on his read. But he's a fancy fancy player, and it works for him.

J
Old 08-22-2005, 12:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Mike
Hands like this one explain why you can't even beat the Party 5-10. I'm sure you're pretty good live though.
/NG

[/ QUOTE ]

mike chooses not to play high online out of his own lack of trust of it. im certain with a few adjustmets he'd kill 5-10 for sure though lol.

-Barron
Old 08-22-2005, 12:33 PM

aren't we violating the basic principles of poker, never bluff a bad player? it would be my sentiment, when a clueless bets the river, he/she has not intention of folding - just too scared to c/r. Although your description of him being nervous due to your presence is indeed interesting. Given that information I would probably be more inclined to bet the river UI when checked to, rather than raise. But all these hands are strange and diffrent enough for me, that I feel like I my comments do not play. I do like to read the discussion they produce.
Old 08-22-2005, 12:41 PM

mike. its good to have you back.

as to your play here the certainly does 1 thing if nothing else. it reinforces the villian's insecurity with having you in a hand. you put the villian to tough late street decisions. you belong here at this limit and higher.

the problem that i see, however, is that in this particular hand, this particular villian may be unwilling to let go precisely because you are there, "hmm, damn that mike...always raisin my ass...ok lets see what you got this time."

of course, if you are called i think this is one of those spots where you muck w/o showing rather than give away turn strategy to the table...if they care.

i like the posts though mike.

-Barron
Old 08-22-2005, 01:39 PM

what's your image like at the table at the time? Have you been running well?
Old 08-22-2005, 02:04 PM

I don't care about this hand anymore. I just wanna know who the girl is on Imitation's avatar.

So hot.
Old 08-22-2005, 02:43 PM

There are a lot of poor/bad/awful etc... players who will not fold to a river raise. If he is scared, and it looks like he is, maybe he wil be content folding- feeling he now knows you have the best of it.
Also, if he does call, and you show your j High, he surely wont be as afraid of you after that and will change his perception of you significantly.
Old 08-22-2005, 03:18 PM

I don't mind the play except judging from your posts and comments from people who has played you, I suspect you do this to often. It'll be +EV when your image is with you but not if you are pulling fancy plays at every upportunity!
Old 08-22-2005, 04:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Also, if he does call, and you show your j High, he surely wont be as afraid of you after that and will change his perception of you significantly.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure that if he gets called he's mucking his hand.