Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2005, 05:17 AM

Default Re: Anime Fans

[ QUOTE ]
Loved Princess Mononoke, any suggestions on other?

Also, can i get Full Metal Alchemist on dvd or inyuasha?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well if you are looking strictly for films then Spirited Away is on the top of my list. I liked Ghost in the Shell 1 + 2. If you are into more graphic - Ninja Scrolls rocks.

Lately though I've been watching more series anime like Naruto, Bleach and Sazuka. They are very very addictive.

You can find those on bittorrent.

Lawrence
Old 08-22-2005, 09:38 AM

bleach and naruto are both very good series.
Old 08-22-2005, 11:34 AM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

spirited away is insanely good, and i basically hate anime
Old 08-22-2005, 11:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Loved Princess Mononoke, any suggestions on other?

Also, can i get Full Metal Alchemist on dvd or inyuasha?

[/ QUOTE ]

Evangelion, Trigun and Bebop are all must-sees.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-22-2005, 11:37 AM

Grave of the Fireflies.
Old 08-22-2005, 01:32 PM

Yes, inyuasha is pure crap.
Old 08-22-2005, 05:42 PM

Bleach, Naruto, Full Metal Panic, etc. are known as 'shounen' anime and known for stupidly long powerups/suspense (Dragon Ball Z) and incredibly lame emotional moments. Hunter x Hunter is by far superior, minimally using the lower points of shounen anime. It's really quite brilliant. Samurai Champloo is also on the more creative side and rather a lot less boring than typical shounen. I'm a really good anime elitist, FYI.
Old 08-22-2005, 05:44 PM

I think Full Metal Alchemist (which is awesome) is available on DVD. Check the cartoon network website.
Old 08-22-2005, 05:54 PM

Vampire Hunter D - It's an absolute must.
Ghost in the Shell 1 & 2
Spirited Away
Fist of the North Star
Akira
Ninja Scroll
Street Fighter the animated movie
Grave of the Fireflies - Only if you want to cry uncontrollably like the little school girl you are.
Old 08-22-2005, 08:51 PM

Hi everyone, I was motivated to post here by my friend who frequents these boards and told me about some people that were talking about anime. Where there is discussion, I will go.

I hate seeing FMP lumped in with something so run of the mill as Naruto. Bleach although also a "shounen" anime as you put it, is a bit different than Naruto. Although those two fall into that catagory I'd find it hard to say that FMP is actually pure Shounen anime. First off, it has a very intertwined romance and a story line, as opposed to generalized shounen that run for 2938242 episodes and have 38473 per fight scene. If you read the FMP novels (which came prior to the manga and the anime), you'll discover this is more of a psychological drama between Sousuke and AL the AI in his AS (they don't transfer this to the shows very well at all). If you're following "The Second Raid" you'll find it to be far apart from the genre that the usual DBZ garbage falls into.

Not to say DBZ isnt good for people that like that sort of thing, but it's usually what people that say "OMG I'm 1337 watch my hair change colors, I love anime!" are obcessed with. A true purist, otaku, japanophile, whatever term you choose; will understand the significant differences in shows of these nature.

I've seen some really good suggestions in this thread however. The Miyazaki films are great ones, especially if you're just getting into anime. Other shows like Cowboy Bebop, or Chrno Crusade (true to the JP name), are great ones for those looking for some action and a great storyline.

If you really want something mature and are in the mood for a mind [censored] check out Gantz. Even for someone who's new to the anime scene this ones intense and easy to get sucked into.

I'd say it really all depends on your tastes, but I'd be careful with genre's and catagorizations. It's very easy to mix up things just because some of their outward characteristics seem to point one way, or from not fully understanding the definition of said genre.

Enjoy the anime! "It's afghanistanimation, chief!" [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]