Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2005, 02:14 AM

Default Re: The Finishes Graph

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

My question is simple. What does a finish distribution look like for a great player?

[/ QUOTE ]

The ones I've seen have tended to be monotonically decreasing, or generally monotonic with the exception of more 3rds than 2nds.

eastbay

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm, that would seem to imply great players are getting relatively involved early on.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see how you can draw that conclusion.

eastbay
Old 08-22-2005, 02:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't see how you can draw that conclusion.

eastbay

[/ QUOTE ]

Me neither, which is why I deleted it right before your post.
Old 08-23-2005, 12:10 AM

Wow, just experienced how meaningless a small sample size really is.

Yesterday I posted that my stats after 123 tourneys were 40% ITM and 7% ROI.

Tonight my total tourneys are up to 142 and my stats are now 43% ITM and 21% ROI.

And here just last night I was pouring over my hand histories and sweating statistics. LOL
Old 08-23-2005, 09:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
And here just last night I was pouring over my hand histories and sweating statistics. LOL

[/ QUOTE ]Maybe it helped. Seriously.

While I agree that 150 SNGs is not enough to draw any firm conclusions, it seems to me that, especially for a new player whose game is likely erratic, it is more than enough to suggest areas for study. It might be that you look at a certain area of play and simply determine that you've been unlucky (or lucky), but you might also find something that will improve your play.

Sometimes bad runs (or good runs), are because of bad play (or good play). Dismissing any run as due to luck strikes me as unproductive for someone who is trying to improve their game.

Anyway, I think your question about what a finishes graph for a very good player ought to look like is a good one. And, using the comparison between that chart and your actual chart might well be beneficial for you. As long as you don't draw conclusion solely fromthe comparison, but use the comparison to direct your hand examination.
Old 08-23-2005, 09:15 AM

Since we're posting away, here is mine over the last 300 or so.

1 14.86%
2 11.49%
3 9.80%
4 12.16%
5 15.54%
6 7.77%
7 8.45%
8 8.78%
9 7.09%
10 4.05%

I'm about 37% ITM, 16.7 ROI. I expect I fall into the category of possibly too aggressive in the bubble. I tend to push a pretty open range if I'm short, or large once I get to lvl 4-5. Playing 30+3's here.
Old 08-23-2005, 09:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]Maybe it helped. Seriously.

While I agree that 150 SNGs is not enough to draw any firm conclusions, it seems to me that, especially for a new player whose game is likely erratic, it is more than enough to suggest areas for study. It might be that you look at a certain area of play and simply determine that you've been unlucky (or lucky), but you might also find something that will improve your play.

Sometimes bad runs (or good runs), are because of bad play (or good play). Dismissing any run as due to luck strikes me as unproductive for someone who is trying to improve their game.

Anyway, I think your question about what a finishes graph for a very good player ought to look like is a good one. And, using the comparison between that chart and your actual chart might well be beneficial for you. As long as you don't draw conclusion solely fromthe comparison, but use the comparison to direct your hand examination.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, I agree. I don't know if it's what helped, but you can never go wrong examining your own hand histories and looking for leaks or missed opportunities.

I think the bottom line is that I just had a very lucky day yesterday, and had some periods of bad luck prior to that. I had an 89% ROI yesterday. Looking forward to more days like that. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]