Old 08-21-2005, 10:39 PM

Default Re: QTs from SB. Gutshot draw. Play or fold

id play it the same way
Old 08-21-2005, 11:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Postflop play is standard, well done.

Is anyone else raising this preflop? I've been pushing progressively more marginal edges, and QTs is going to have an equity edge over four limpers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your edge is upset by position.

[/ QUOTE ]

Raise this PF.

Raising QTs or especially QTo off OOP is a good plan on most tables IMHO.

Think of it as an isolation play. You will often get people with worse hands cold calling you. This is great. People with better hands will mostly re-raise. This helps you know where you stand on the flop. Overcards will come with some regularity, so having a feel for the other players cards helps with reads.

These hands are top pair hands in most cases. You also have a shot at a nut strait or a good flush. Mostly you will be playing a pair. Having a thin field makes this a lot easier to control.

QTs plays well multi way, so you aren't upset when people call in droves, and you can stand a re-raise. Especially when it traps the field and builds a big ol' pot.

I think raising actually gains back the equity you loose OOP.

-D
Old 08-21-2005, 11:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I felt the pot odds were correct.

[/ QUOTE ]

You shouldn't be "feeling" pot odds until after you've spent lots of time counting them.
Old 08-22-2005, 01:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't usually stick around for gutshouts, but on this one, I felt the pot odds were correct.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

You "felt" the pot odds were correct? What were the odds you were receiving from the pot? What were the odds of making your hand? On the flop, were you calculating your odds based on only seeing one card, or playing all the way to the river? Did you adjust the pot odds based on implied odds? Are there any other cards that could come on the turn that would make it right for you to continue on the river, and how would that affect your odds? You MUST be able to answer these questions, with time to think about them, or you'll NEVER be able to make this decision correctly on the fly, at the table. (You don't need exact answers to all of them, because for some exact answers are impossible to come by, but you at least need to be able to come up with a reasonable ballpark.)

Oh, and I think the hand is fine. Other people here will tell you to raise PF, but they're a bunch of LAGs.
Old 08-22-2005, 01:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Other people here will tell you to raise PF, but they're a bunch of LAGs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Guilty as charged. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 08-22-2005, 11:33 AM

Given your PF position, I don't rasie PF here. There were two limpers ahead of you, so you are looking at an awkward pot. (More or fewer limpers would be better) There was also a poster; who knows what he's got. Plus you will be in the worst possible position for the whole hand. There's two ways this hand can go down if you PFR.

First, you can get a Q-high or T-high flop, giving you TP. In this case, you'll want to try and protect by forcing others out. It will be hard to do this given that fact that you are first to act. You'll have a difficult time facing anyone with 2 cold. Even if you did manage to face opponents with 2 cold, you'll be OOP to the rasier, and the pot will be large enough to encourage thin calls, anyway.

Second, you could flop a big draw. In this case, you'd obviously prefer to be in position, since you didn't flop a made hand. You could check and try to complete your draw, but it would play better if you were in position.

Of these two eventualities, the first is more common. And your strategic position in the first is more problematic than it is for the draw. Based on this, I'm inclined to just complete PF.

If you were on the button, I'd totally rasie.
Old 08-22-2005, 11:43 AM

Donīt fold.

I think this could be played in two different ways.

Flop: Besides the str8 draw you have 2 overcards. You might choose to protect these by betting out on the flop and hope that BB will raise you, knocking out some opponents. But checking is also fine, with that many customers and a very strong draw if you hit it.

Turn and river looks standard.
Old 08-22-2005, 11:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You might choose to protect these by betting out on the flop and hope that BB will raise you

[/ QUOTE ]

If this actually happens, how much do you now like your overcards?
Old 08-22-2005, 11:50 AM

Then he likely holds big pocket pairs or a set i guess...

Making me not like my overcards AND knocking out customers for my str8 draw.
Old 08-22-2005, 11:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You might choose to protect these by betting out on the flop and hope that BB will raise you

[/ QUOTE ]

If this actually happens, how much do you now like your overcards?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have dreams about being HU with QTs drawing to only a gutshot against a two-tone board and a preflop raiser. Strange, wonderful dreams....