Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2005, 04:45 PM

Default Re: Sample of an advanced play

I've been thinking that since I read this, what exactly makes this an advanced play??

-Matt
Old 08-21-2005, 05:05 PM

Did you read his explanation of the play?
Explanation
Old 08-21-2005, 05:10 PM

Yes I read it, it was a very advanced explanation of a fundamentally basic play, the slow-play.

-Matt
Old 08-21-2005, 05:11 PM

Fair enough.
Old 08-21-2005, 06:42 PM

You are perfectly right. ANYONE can make this play. But only a few know WHY they make it.

He just explained in detail WHY to make this play, a great treat to the forum-members.

How do you determine advanced play btw? I thought advanced play was when you started thinking about "he thinks that I think that....", and thats just what he's doing here.

In poker all advanced play can be cut into "fundamentally basic play", it's the reasoning behind the moves that tells if they are advanced plays or just lucky guesses.
Old 08-21-2005, 07:02 PM

IMHO you are very confused.

An advanced play comes from "outside the box" thinking that is heavily dependent on a read on a particular villain. Making a pot bet/raise when the flush hits on the river while only holding the ace of that flush, believing that your opponent will fold even with a lesser flush, is commonly referred to as an advanced play. It is also very ballsy.

A play I often make that I consider advanced, yet not ballsy, is when holding AAxx preflop, I often look to see if there is a very short stack at the table that just became short as a result of the last hand or two, or if I feel he is a buy-in-short-and-try-to-make-a-big-score player (this situation comes up rarely, maybe once per session). I will raise to just under half of the shorty's stack. (Example: 50PLO, I have a 50 stack, shorty has a 7 stack, Ill raise to 3). Frequently the shorty will push all in and that allows me to put down a monster reraise. If I had raised to 4 or 5, the short would have pushed just the same, but I would not be able to make a monster reraise at that point (since I would only be able to call his spillover). Most of the time, holding garbage, and simply by the virtue of being able to go all in preflop, the shorty will make that move, clearing the way for me to make mine.

Slowplays are not advanced, they are frequently made, and when holding the nut hand they are hardly ever incorrect to make (though betting can sometimes be "more correct")

I agree it was a well detailed explanation and a good contribution to the forum.

-Matt
Old 08-29-2005, 02:48 PM

The advanced aspect of it was the hand reading of the flop raise which allowed him to check the turn knowing that it would not get checked through.