Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2005, 11:52 AM

Default Re: WSOP final table hand

[ QUOTE ]
I push pre-flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I love to push preflop, but with 16xBB and a hand as strong as QQ that is a terrible play.

However, if hero is so weak/tight he will check/fold any slightly dangerous flop, then pushing and getting the money in might be OK.
Old 08-19-2005, 12:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I imagine you folded

[/ QUOTE ]
From Cardplayer:
[ QUOTE ]

Date / Time: 2005-07-15 18:58:00
Log: Hand 36 - Tex Barch has the button in seat 3, Kondracki raises to $400,000, and Barch calls. The flop comes Kd-6s-2c, Kondracki checks, Barch bets $500,000, and Kondracki thinks long and hard before folding.

[/ QUOTE ]

This should definately make TV.

But congratualtions on the big payday. That is quite an accomplishment to make it so far.
Old 08-19-2005, 02:37 PM

I think the problem here is the situation. Early in an online tournament (or the WSOP ME), if you raise with QQ, get 3 callers, and a king hits, you should probably fold. Someone almost certainly has KQ, KJ, KT, or K9. There might even be a loose call with K2s.

Here you are at the final table of the WSOP against one player, who is unlikely to have called an early position raise with a king. Furthermore, the money is pretty shallow, which makes it hard to call a raise with speculative hands, and also gives you more reason to gamble that your hand is best.
Old 08-19-2005, 02:50 PM

I had no idea you posted here.
Old 08-19-2005, 02:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I had no idea you posted here.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-19-2005, 02:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I push pre-flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I love to push preflop, but with 16xBB and a hand as strong as QQ that is a terrible play.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. There's 340K in dead money to pick up here and that would increase hero's stack by nearly 20%. Also, QQ will be tough to play out of position if you're called.
Old 08-19-2005, 03:01 PM

I don't think you can fold this hand given the relative chip positions. I think your primary goal should be focusing getting the maximum out of hands that you beat at the expense of busting when you are beaten.

Thus, I c/r allin here. He probably won't fold KJ/KT but who knows, and a hand like JJ/TT probably doesn't want to overcommit to this pot?
Old 08-19-2005, 03:06 PM

You pretty much can't fold this hand after committing so much preflop. I would check raise all in with an overcard because then at least he has a chance to bluff at it if he missed. If you pushed, only a King will call and all other hands you can beat would fold. If you check, 77-TT might bet at it thinking you're scared of the overcard. The % chance that he bluffs at this is significantly high (80% in my opinion) considering he probably thinks you'll be weak/tight because of the large payout jumps. I think check raising is by far the best play. If you're willing to put it all in here you have to check raise so a worse hand will put chips in. Can someone explain how pushing makes more chips in the long run than check raising?
Old 08-19-2005, 04:23 PM

this may sound crazy but i think im calling this bet seeing a turn. I cant see folding as a real option here. I dont see what pushing solves, a worst hand will fold a better hand will call. If you call and push ANY turn, there are a bunch of scare cards that will help you on the turn. The only way I dont push the turn is if a queen or ace hit, I would then c/r all in on the turn (if he gives you the chance). If he moves all in on the turn, i think you have to fold unless you catch your queen. If he checks the turn though I would push any river.

I dont see you getting away from this hand anyway, so why not try and fck with his head.
Old 08-19-2005, 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I thought it might be fun to discuss before I hopefully get to see Tex's hand on tv.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I imagine you folded

[/ QUOTE ]

No Sherlock Holmes award for you!