Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-2003, 10:56 PM

Default Re: \"Nice Catch\"

I just agree with them and apologize for my poor play.
Old 04-02-2003, 12:53 PM

Depending on my mood and the way I think it will affect both the table and the person in question, I say one of two things.

1. The now infamous "Shhhhhhhhhhhhh, I'm stacking your chips"

or

2. (and there are variations of this) "Spades are my lucky suit, I always hit on spades!" or "My horoscope told me that today good things would happen if I was persistant" or "I knew an ace would come, aces always come when there's a pair on the board!"

Old 04-02-2003, 04:25 PM

Default Hello,Howard! One of the characteristics of...

a good working player is to maintain composure under adverse conditions. This INCLUDES putting up with insulting words from unruly opponents who are making a contribution to your pot.
I play with a "Lady" who is very insulting and NEVER lets up!
However,I love to play with her because she contributes handsomely to my pot.
If your objective is to make a few bucks,it's important that u tolerate these players AND make them feel at "home". I know it's difficult. But,hey! No one promised u a "rose garden"--Roy West
If U are not concerned about winning or losing,but is interested in playing only with "nice peaople" [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] ,then chasing her away from the table IS JUSTIFIED.
U choose!
Happy pokering,
SittingBull
[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-02-2003, 05:21 PM

Default I did it once...

...put a bad beat on someone that is. It was 3-bets to me preflop in the SB with Ts4s. I called out of boredom. Flop came King high with two spades. I checked and called. Turn was an offsuit rag. Checked and called. River was my spade. I checkraised, he called, I busted his flopped set of kings. And he went off. I remained silent. It was fun and funny.

If it gets them on tilt, so be it.
Old 04-02-2003, 07:12 PM

A Chinese friend of mine, who was a little lost, realized where she was too late, and made a left turn from the right hand lane of a four lane street, in the process, she cut someone off. The other party followed her, and after she had parked, and was getting out of her car he yelled 'LADY, YOU ARE THE WORST DRIVER EVER!'

She said she smiled at him, and with as much accent as possible said, 'Thank you very much sir, Merry Christmas too', even though it was in the summer.

When people are ranting and raving, and the poker lessons start, I have to admit that I usually try and tweak them a little. Ok, its not nice, but they were not nice first, so I think that they might have it coming. In the two hands, you might not have played great poker, but you were in situations where you might have had a thin edge, or not. Its poker, and you have to deal with it when it happens to you, and they have to deal with it when it happens to them.

If the lady really was an 80-160 player, she should be able to handle the loss of a pot that was really less than one big bet to her, and that might have been what I told her if I wanted to tweak her.

Old 04-03-2003, 09:17 PM

Default How about...

Hey, I had a 50/50 chance in making it. After they come unglued correcting you, say, "yeah, you either make it or you don't, 50/50 right?"

-D.J.
Old 04-04-2003, 01:13 AM

what i think is -- is that you are lucky. that helps in poker.

seeing that two people called you an idiot. then you have to consider that they may be correct. although they may not be. i cant help you, as i know of no remedy for being an idiot. so just hope they are wrong.

never let anyone give you shi** in life for any reason. just because you may get some of their money, why lower yourself and listen and take their crap. thats why we play poker, so we dont have to put up with any persons abuse. so what if they leave, there will be another two to take their place.
Old 04-04-2003, 07:04 AM

That "I'm stacking your chips" line is a riot.

I could never pull it off though. With my luck, I would either make someone cry or make someone so mad at me that they go to their car and come back into the card room with an AK-47 (with old issues of Card player wrapped all around it) with me as their first target. Just like the scene in Dog Day Afternoon but picture Al Pacino walking into Binion's instead of a bank :-)

Thanks again for the feedback everyone.

Best

Howard
Old 04-04-2003, 07:10 AM

As always, thanks for sharing your wisdom Ray.

You are the nuts!

Best

Howard

Old 04-05-2003, 09:28 PM

I've tried a few different approaches to players like that, but there is really little that makes a difference. So, now when someone announces how badly I play, I think about a stud game years ago.

I had only been at this table a few minutes when I ended up heads up with a particularly annoying lady; I had 4 diamonds showing, but all my hole cards were black. At the river, I decided to get cute and check raise her. She calls me down, and I flip up my cards to expose my naked bluff. She went ballistic, and proceeded to tell everybody at the table how bad I was to try to steal the pot from her. Fortuantely, she stayed at the table for the next 5 hours, and everytime I made a big bet or raised she told everybody how bad I was and how I'd tried to steal from her. Needless to say, I never bluffed again that night, and it was a very profitable night thanks to my "bad play" and her sqealing about it. Don't let the idiots get to you, and when you can try to take advantage of the situation.