Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2005, 07:22 AM

Default Re: Big pot poker

[ QUOTE ]
There's already 12 bets in the pot. Leading out with a bet will give people 13:1 and greater odds. So any draw with more than 3 outs will call here. In other words, betting here will not protect your hand.

If you want to protect your hand, check to the PF raiser and raise him. That'll give people 7.5:1 odds on their call, which might eliminate gutshots and other weak draws - although you never know with these people.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? The raiser is to your immediate left. You check and the field will face just one bet; you bet and they could face two if UTG+1 raises. That's the only way they'll get 7.5:1.
Old 08-18-2005, 07:23 AM

grunch:

You have to protect, so I think the plan is to bet out and hope that UTG+1 is "smart" enough to raise his overcards, thus hitting the whole field for two cold.

I think your situation totally sucks though. It sounds like your protection isn't going to make anyone fold. On the turn and river, any card that doesn't improve you seems like an unsafe card. Not only that, but I wouldn't be surprised if you are behind to a loose passive overpair.

I'd say your best chance is to catch an 8,K or the miracle BD flush.
Old 08-18-2005, 07:23 AM

Oh, and bet the flop.
Old 08-18-2005, 07:43 AM

Whoops! I read it wrong. I read it as the raiser on the button.

Nevermind my comment.. nothing to see here...
Old 08-18-2005, 07:44 AM

I agree MATT here.
Old 08-18-2005, 11:11 AM

I really hate this "bet, hoping to get raised" thing. How many players, even TAG's are going to be raising with UI overs? If we bet, and get raised, yeah, we chase out flush draws, but then we're probably now going HU with an overpair.

I'm betting though, "hoping to get UTG+1 to fold", although it doubles as betting, "if UTG+1 raises, curse, and hope to catch running 8's"

EDIT - not sure if this is a leak or not, but if raised, my line for the hand if HU and UI, and with not-so-scary overs is C/C, Bet

EDIT2 - PF call is damn awesome
Old 08-18-2005, 11:20 AM

Grunching.
I'd definitely call this preflop, it's better than 11:1.

Flop: I have TPSK and a back-door flush draw. I bet, because there's a decent chance I'm ahead and I think that UTG+1 will raise and help me knock out a few players by facing them with 2 cold.
Old 08-18-2005, 11:27 AM

grunch

PF- easy call. Suited king with a not terrible kicker looks good to me.

Flop- I'd bet for protection. Since the PF aggressor was UTG+1, he'll likely raise right behind you, and the rest of the field will be seeing two bets cold. Thus, I think this protects your hand better than a C/R would. You need to protect because though you might have the best hand right now, any card higher than an 8 is an over, and anything under make straights much more likely.
Old 08-18-2005, 11:28 AM

Betting right out at the flop, because I have top pair and a backdoor 2nd nut flush draw. If UTG+1 raises, I call and re-evaluate on turn. I'd like to thin the field out a bit, and I can't use a checkraise due to my position relative to the preflop raiser. I'm not really hoping UTG+1 raises - heck, I'd like everyone to just fold to me now, lol - but if he does it's not a disaster.
Old 08-18-2005, 11:31 AM

Check-raising the PF raiser is the opposite of protecting your hand. All this does is tie weak draws to the pot that much more.