Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2005, 12:08 PM

Default Re: Your Top 25 Players from the last 5 Main Event Final Tables

wow so david williams is really respected here huh?
Old 08-18-2005, 07:02 PM

I certainly won't argue that I'm better than Carlos at tourney play, as I have played with him very little, so I have no personal opinion worth anything. However, based upon the little I have seen, and his reputation and results, he is clearly a well above average tourney player. He is likely one of the better tourney players out there. The only negative I tend to hear about Carlos is that he can go on tilt easier than other players of his calibre, and thus isn't always playing his "A" game.

However, it is hard to compare results here. I have played a lot more big buyin events in the last year than ever before, but I seldom play in any of the events other than the main events at these tourney series. Other than the WSOP, almost all of my tourneys this last year have been the 10K events. Thus, I haven't actually entered all that many, certainly not so many that I am yet concerned about not making more final tables. Statistically, I'm not really overdue, given the sizes of the fields. Not that I don't wish I had done better in some of these, just that I'm not concerned yet, as I'm happy with the vast majority of my playing decisions.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)
Old 08-18-2005, 08:35 PM

Default Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

Old 08-18-2005, 08:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But neither of you have been WSOP best all around player, which is a much better measure of skill than the big one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, Greg totally choked this year when he didn't win the POY. I lost all respect for him.

[ QUOTE ]
The best all around player last year is the greatest tourney player in the world today, IMHO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Biased maybe?
Old 08-18-2005, 08:59 PM

Well, I assume you understood that me saying I feel Carlos is a better player than you is no slight whatsoever. TY for the response, I figured we were working with a fairly small sample size.
Old 08-20-2005, 02:05 PM

Interesting post.

I don't know if I can name 25 but some of my favorites are the players I've come to see as consistently playing well, and watching their game improve. Not in any particular order.

David Williams
Greg Raymer
Josh Arieh
Phil Gordon

These are my picks for seeing bigger and better things for them in the future, as well as proving they belong on the "top 25" list.

However, I think we are neglecting Chris Ferguson as I have been very impressed with his play and results lately.

But, top of the list would have to be Raymer. He's an excellent player, and a classy guy.
Old 08-20-2005, 06:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Interesting post.

I don't know if I can name 25 but some of my favorites are the players I've come to see as consistently playing well, and watching their game improve. Not in any particular order.

David Williams
Greg Raymer
Josh Arieh
Phil Gordon

These are my picks for seeing bigger and better things for them in the future, as well as proving they belong on the "top 25" list.

However, I think we are neglecting Chris Ferguson as I have been very impressed with his play and results lately.

But, top of the list would have to be Raymer. He's an excellent player, and a classy guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ferguson may be #1 on my list if I made it the last 6 years. Unfortunately he hasn't seen a Main Event final table after taking out TJ Cloutier in the 2000 Main Event.