Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2005, 10:45 PM

Default Re: How should I have played this hand?

Wow thanks for all the replies! I called preflop because I was on the button and there were a good numbers of limpers, so I thought I was getting good enough odds to call and see if I could hit a straight draw or flush draw on the flop.

The reason I didn't cap the bet was because I was a little afraid that he had pocket 3s or pocket 5s and made a full house on the turn. So generally, if I have a very good hand, but a hand that could be beaten like this one, should I usually only 3 bet if my opponent is showing a lot of strength? I feel like sometimes I should cap the bet to win a few more chips, but I guess more of the time I might be losing those few extra chips.

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.
Old 08-16-2005, 10:17 AM

Default Re: How should I have played this hand?

Grunch, without looking at results:

Pre-flop: 64s is a marginal call here. I'd fold it, but mabye call with 65s.
Flop: You flopped the nuts. Nice. I like the cap.
Turn: Action leads me to believe he either has a naked '7', a boat, or an overpair. I play it the same here. Getting 3-bet here probably means you are behind, so calling it is correct.
River: Your straight has been counterfeited, so you can't raise it for value, even heads-up. Call the bet because getting 17.5-1 you'll get shown an overpair or trips often enough for it to be profitable.

Edit: I didn't look at results until after I posted, so I couldn't know if villian was LAG or not. However, if you know ahead of time that they are both loose and aggressive, then you probably have to put them on a wider range of hands, and can cap for value on the turn even with the board paired.

I still don't like raising with a one-card second-nut straight vs. even a LAG on the river.