Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2005, 06:11 AM

Default Re: \"Dont slowplay a straight\" but I do it anyway

There are no cards left in the deck to help your hand. Anything that comes off can only hurt you. Raise that sucker.
Old 08-15-2005, 07:01 AM

Maybe I'm retarded, but I think you want as many people in there as you can get. Pray that someone else raises, but raise the turn no matter what.
Old 08-15-2005, 07:04 AM

I am retarded and didn't realize that the 5 players were also in for 2 bets preflop. The pot is big enough and you were the agressor, so the raise makes more sense.

"Think before you post. Think before you post"
Old 08-15-2005, 07:08 AM

no need to get fancy with lots of players in a big pot with the best hand eegah. just pump the pot and everything will be great. this is a board that will have hit a lot of people so take their money early when you have the best of it.
Old 08-15-2005, 08:22 AM

I think a raise would be a quality play. Lets say your saving for a turn value bet. The turn is a 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img](blank). Bam, you raise, its extremely confusing. I think the jig is going to be up, considering no way that card helped you in any way. They're going to be thinking you had it all along. But if you reraise the flop, They're going to put you on an pair. your going to get an extra SB considering everyone pretty much calls a limit reraise after calling a bet.
Old 08-15-2005, 08:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think a call kills your action more than a raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. Everybody expects you to have some piece of this broadway flop after your PFR, so they fully expect you to raise this. When you opt to just call, they have to wonder wtf you could have that justifies just calling as opposed to raising or folding. I suppose AJ or 88 (if you raise that PF) might just call, but AQ, KK, JJ, KJs, etc are all probably raising here.

A flop raise does not announce to the table that you flopped the nut straight. A flop call followed by a turn raise, on the other hand . . .
Old 08-15-2005, 09:02 AM

Raise this up on the flop. You have the nuts but you are vulnerable to 2 pair and a gut shot straight draw for a split. Get money in while you are ahead. Raising does not announce you have the nuts. You forget that many of these players only play their hand, they are not trying to put you on a hand (they figure 2 pair or even top pair is a great hand). They will likely call with any part of this flop. You don't have reads on UTG so you don't even know if he will lead out the turn if you call here. Too many bad things can happen by slow playing here.
Old 08-15-2005, 10:14 AM

I too, have fought the demons whispering in my ear telling me to slowplay a flopped straight. But after getting burned by twice by full houses after the board pairs has taught me an expensive lessong.

Fight the urge.
Ask yourself, "Why am I slowplaying?"

Is it to keep the loose money players in there? If it is, just remember that loose money players are exactly that "loose money" they will put it in even if you tell them not to by raising. They're like little kids... more inclined to do the opposite of what you tell them to do because they don't want you to be right.

Is it to trap good players? Well, good players are playing with good cards and your board has lots of good cards on it, so they are going to play that board. You win by getting money into the pot when you have the best of it. Because they will play while they think *they* have the best of it.

Also, I like the point of "nothing that can come will help your hand. The only things that can come will hurt it."

Bet your made hands.
Old 08-15-2005, 10:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There are no cards left in the deck to help your hand. Anything that comes off can only hurt you. Raise that sucker.

[/ QUOTE ]

So do we need to protect 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] on a
6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] flop? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-15-2005, 10:58 AM

I think it could also announce that you have TPTK, two pair or just bigger balls. I would expect that after your flop raise they will check to you unless one of them catches something on the turn such as trips.

I hate slowplaying. I think it's more of a valid play in NL where missed bets can be made up on the next street.