Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2005, 10:57 PM

Default Re: hand I played badly...need some analysis.

I take a number of things into account when deciding whether or not to reraise. Namely; stack sizes, players in the pot and position. Since you are both in early position, I think a reraise is important because you would rathar play heads up. I'm not a huge fan of the minraise... but I would raise just enough to get it heads up UNLESS you raise enough to give improper odds for the set to call.

(Note: if you you were likely to be heads up, and you were in late position AND everyone was deep stacked, I might consider smoothcalling to hide the strength of your hand.)

I think the most important thing is post flop play. Rarely do you want to lose your whole stack post flop with an unimproved pair. You have to consider your cards, his cards and what you think he puts you on.

If a player knows you are strong, and he still comes at you, you have to slow down and consider what you have, what he thinks you have and why he's still betting into you.

And for the record... we've all made mistakes like this. Its often easier to see it when you're observing then when you're in the heat of a hand (and holding on to aces).
Old 08-15-2005, 11:04 PM

I'll lead with a set most of the time. I want a big pot. And I know that most people with big pairs don't have the discipline to lay down.

Also, the villain does not want to give cheap cards in case hero has a flush draw (unlikely, considering the reraise but I've seen many reraise with AKs).

I don't see many people trying to steal on that flop into someone who reraised. Precisely because most people are going to put the hero on Aces or Kings and NOT likely to lay down.

If there were 2 pros with high level thinking ("he knows that I know that he has aces, therefore, he knows I wouldn't bet into him unless he knows I can beat aces, therefore, I can get him to lay down his aces with a bluff here") Most players are not this sophisticated.

Therefore, for MOST players, I would say that the villain has a set (as there are no obvious draws or even 2 pairs that would have raised preflop).
Old 08-15-2005, 11:05 PM

Your only mistake is not re-raising more. Make it $30 to go - Villain had to call 12 dollars into a 33 dollar pot, with $180 behind - easy call to spike a set on what he knows is a big pair.

I never know how to play in this situation post-flop though - it's why I lead out with my sets in Villain's situation. Unfortunately I looked at the results so that colors my thinking, but I'd like to think I just call in this situation and see what develops on the turn. If he's firing again at what appears to be any card he's got to have a hand better than a pair. Hands like JJ and TT will slow down - if they don't, well, you'll get that person's money soon enough.

Of course I've had trouble folding aces in these situations lately - shows it's easier to give advice than take it yourself.
Old 08-15-2005, 11:10 PM

The general rule is calling any bet that is less then 10% of either players stack is good implied odds for set value.

So, to price the set out, you would have to raise more then 10% of either players stack.

If players had smaller stacks (say 50-60bb), then the reraise would be fine and hero should gladly lose his whole stack here. (and villain should fold if he's decent)

When you have 100bb stacks, you shouldn't be playing your whole stack with just a pocket pair. I would say UNLESS all the money goes in preflop, if 2 full stacks are going in, (and the players are decent) the player with just a pair is not going to take it.

Don't they say with Aces,.. you usually win a small pot or lose a big one.