Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Julie vs. Kirsten
Kirsten (Kelly Rowan) 31 34.83%
Julie (Melinda Clark) 58 65.17%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-16-2005, 03:52 PM

Default Re: Two others die, or three others die? sorta.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

The major Judaic tenet to look to in these cases is the fact that you as a human cannot kill to save another life (or lives). Not only is it not your perogative to decide who is more deserving of life, but additionally in Judaism the prohibition against murder is more stringent than the commandment to save a life.

[/ QUOTE ]

praise Jesus that I am not jewish. If my faith said something to this effect, i would certainly become an athiest.

fim

[/ QUOTE ]

it's just my (unscholarly) interpretation of some laws. One thing I really love is that there is always debate over these kind of questions, (as you can see by following my previous link), there is very little that the 'faith' says regarding what you should do here. I don't mean to debate the merits of different religions but this questioning and debate is one thing I truly appreciate about Judaism.

and if you're going out of your way to capitalize Jesus, I'd appreciate you capitalizing 'Jewish' as well.
Old 08-16-2005, 06:32 PM

I find it interesting to those who chose the 3.

Suppose there is a healthy person who is innocent. There are also 3 people who are also innocent, but need organ donations. Therefore, it is ethical to murder the first guy to save the other 3. After all, 3 deaths is worse than 1.

Explain that one.
Old 08-16-2005, 08:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Suppose there is a healthy person who is innocent. There are also 3 people who are also innocent, but need organ donations. Therefore, it is ethical to murder the first guy to save the other 3. After all, 3 deaths is worse than 1.

Explain that one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good question.

This one gets into a lot of other problems, like rights to one's body.

I'd like to say that even if there is only one person who is eligible to donate (or be forced to donate) these organs, you still should not murder him.

I'm struggling for a good reason though, other than murder, which is condradictory to my answer to the original question.

Maybe I'll get back to you.
Old 08-16-2005, 09:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Explain that one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good question.

This one gets into a lot of other problems, like rights to one's body.

I'd like to say that even if there is only one person who is eligible to donate (or be forced to donate) these organs, you still should not murder him.

I'm struggling for a good reason though, other than murder, which is condradictory to my answer to the original question.

Maybe I'll get back to you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well put Tom.
You know I'd say this is an obvious answer based on the principle that you cannot kill, even to save lives.

I also was struggling to find sincere differences in Tom's example and JMan's, and I don't think there are any.
In each, the person saves people in certain danger of death by choosing to take the lives of fewer people.